1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeakers: :Listed Builders

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iualum, Apr 7, 2006.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Anyone ever have Bill or any of the builders listed on his site build speakers for you?

I'm gussing that Bill himself would be THE guy to talk with (since he lists himself as a builder). Who knows his stuff better than himself, right? The only possible downside as I see it could be shipping expenses? Someone closer may be less to ship.

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I inquired with one of the listed builders about tuba subs, and, finished, they ran about $1000.00 each. Probably worth it, but I would have had to have them shipped halfway accross the state. A local builder might make them for less, but that seemed to be the going rate.

3. The builders are all bums.

:D

I'm the authorized builder in your zone. We are just getting started and are delayed by the huge amount of rain here in Sacramento.

We don't have firm pricing in effect yet, as I have to see how much time is required. I'm building a number of production jigs to speed the build process which reduces the cost. I'm also becoming an Eminence dealer, so I can purchase drivers at wholesale, again which reduces cost. The paperwork is still in process.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm thinking about (2)Omni 10s or (2)DR250s (full-range, ported w/tweeters & frequency-tuned to not need a sub), or one of each.:)

5. My crew is doing Tubas and Omni10 first. I think this is where the demand will be strongest, and believe this combination is most useful for the electric bassist.

DR2xx are much more complicated, so we want to get through a few before offering those builds to the public. The O10 performance is not quite as good, but the O10 is a much easier (read: less expensive) build. The price on the DR2xx will be steep due to the amount of hours involved.

The DR2xx are Ferrari-class builds and are priced accordingly.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    When you can go out and spend $2,000 for a simple ported box spending half that amount for a Tuba or DR is cheap. The main cost advantage to these is for the DIYer. They incorporate a level of engineering that manufacturers can't touch for less than $3k and up, but the DIYer can save at least 75% of that with his own labor. If you must have them built by someone else you won't save nearly as much, but they'll still come in 50% less than comparable manufactured gear will, because our builders don't have the kind of overhead that EAW, Martin, Meyer and all the rest do. But as shipping these can cost $100 or more I decided to get builders in as many locations as possible to minimize that cost as well.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yep. If I didn't already have a lot of lightweight watts invested in, or if I regularly provided FOH for venues larger than I typically see around here, I'd not find anything new that's cost- and weight-per-SPL-comparable to Bill's designs.

8. I just might like someone in my area (mass) to cut the pieces for one or two 1/2 omni 10s for me in as lightweight a material as is practical for that design. I can probably handle assembly.

I can't even move my current rig any more and my practice amp is not cutting it. Anyone who might consider doing this?

Thanks,
    S

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    A full listed of authorized builders cand be found here:
    http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/builders.html
    Pre-cut parts are not really an option, there's a lot of fitting as it's built. It may be my easiest cabinet to build but it's still a long way from a ported box.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bgavin, do you own a store or what? Do you just make the cabs and sell em to music shops? If you do own a shop yourself, where are you located? I need to get out there sometime!

11. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I want a Tuba but shipping to Japan would kill me
    I bought smaller cabs and had them shipped here and it was only $80 or so each. But the Tuba is over the maximum shipping size for US post office.

Thanks

Robert VanLane

12. Bill, could you clarify this a little, are you saying that the builder has to take measurments during assembly and then cut parts to fit the individual assembly as it is built up -or- are you saying that the builder can cut most or all of the parts in advance but things may have to be fiddled/trimmed/finagled during assembly with maybe a small risk that a critical piece or two may be undersize and need to be remade -or- or are you saying something else that I totally do not understand?

Thanks,
    S

13. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    The recommended materials seldom come in the exact nominal thickness. Plywood is never exactly 1/2". For a simple ported box that does not make much difference, but when building a more complicated design (with internal braces, a folded horn, parts that are not at 90degree angles etc) a 10% extra (or less) adds up for every plate/brace and that sums to unacceptable differences. So while some pieces of Bill's designs can be cut to exact measurements, most parts are either measured and cut one at a time, or cut just a little too large and then trimmed to fit.

(I have not build any of Bill's cabs yet, but bought some of his designs and am currently studying the construction process and awaiting delivery of drivers)

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Exactly. If 1/2" plywood was 1/2" thick there would be no problem, but it isn't. The actual thickness can vary by 1/16 of an inch from the 'nominal' 15/32" specification.

15. AHA! Coming from more of a metalworking background than a woodworking background, I sometimes forget about those factors.

BTW: I am not saying that tolerance stackups are not frequently a big factor with metal but at least the size of the stock is usually very consistent.

Maybe I should just make some out of aluminum ;)

Thanks for the clarification,
    S

16. No store front. No plans for one, either. Rents are staggering here, and I would have to build a boat load of cabs just to pay the rent. No thanks.

One son-in-law owns a commercial cabinet shop and I have him doing the Formica laminate work. The other son-in-law and I are doing the building. I plan on turning the building business over to him, and concentrating on the business, engineering and testing ends of the enterprise.

I don't sell to stores, nor do I have any plans to do so. We are not interested in mass production work. Our focus is on building Ferrari-class cabs. Our mission is best of breed, not being an economy fabricator.

Those looking to cut costs are encouraged to DIY with Bill's plans. One can build a Tuba with a circular saw, a brain, and the ability to read and follow directions.

If it would EVER stop raining, we will start measuring commercial cabs with TrueRTA for comparison with ours. All the results will be on the web site for comparision. We are beholden to no commercial manufacturer or advertiser, so the results will be the real thing. Warts and all. We will also publish high quality MP3 clips of all cabs playing standardized tracks for comparison purposes.

Due to product liability laws, we have to insure and incorporate to protect ourselves from some idiot who drops a cab on his foot then tries to sue us for it. Drivers and cabs delivered in California are subject to sales tax.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How are you planning to sell the cabs if not in a store?

18. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My biggest problem is that I am a danger to myself and others with power tools. I tried to make pair of speakers once and managed to screw it up so bad it should have been illegal. I hope you get up and going soon! And, it will stop raining. . . . .eventually.

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Not today, nor in the forseable forecast :crying:

20. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Sorry to quote myself.

I know the Omni 10 is pretty efficiet & the DR250 is super efficient, but what might a single Omni 10 be the equivalent of? How about a single DR250? :help:

Thanks for any info.