Bill Gates talking smack about iPods

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, May 12, 2005.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Interesting. I was just fixing to post this.

He is probably right.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think most people have known for a while that cellphones would ultimately supersede mp3 players for most people. I'm sure apple has too, but they have waited quite some time to release an iPhone, even though there have been rumors about it for about 3 years. Now that Apple has such an intense grip on the Mp3 player market(at least 90% of all hard drive models and 50% of all flash models) There really isn't anything Microsoft *can* do but spread FUD and talk smack.

Every single "iPod killer" has failed. Even some of the ones that were clearly a better product. What does that say about what the consumer base wants? Heck, the iPod shuffle, neat as it is, doesn't even have a ****ing screen yet 50% of ALL flash based players sold today are iPod shuffles.

Cell phones have been getting really good for a while now, and we are on the verge of getting some wicked cell phones with 512-1GB flash memory for mp3s+ big full color screens, 2 megapixel cameras...etc...etc..etc.

The interesting thing about the cell phone market is that these phones typically cost over $500, but carriers give them away(or give huge discounts) with new and renewed contracts, and since everyone has a cell phone these days, no one, typically, 'feels' the cost of them.

Eitherway. I don't have any intention to get an iPod shuffle, but I would love a phone with 512 MB of memory and .mp3 playback capabilities.
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I get the feeling Mr. Gates might be regretting a trifle, giving that $500 million or however much it was, to bail Apple out.

I think Apple has a a solid handle on the industry, they've learned from the past and have offered up a compelling product(s).
  5. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    The cool thing about the Shuffle though is that it's so cheap for the amount of space you get. 99 bucks for 512 megs is quite a good bargain compared to most flash mp3 players. The Nomad MuVo is more than twice that. Plus they double as file storage.
  6. I actually prefer having multiple distinct devices for a few reasons, but mainly battery life. I wouldn't like to have my phone croak on me because I was listening to music. I
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That's what I have with my phone now (Motorolla with Windows CE incl. Windows Media Player), and the reason I'm not shelling out cash on an iPod (well, that and it's not worth it to me). An iPod would be cooler, but this works well enough for me. 512 mb Flash cards are cheaper.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm with you Indi. Here is my reason. My life is not such a constant rush and run around that I need to have one device that does every single thing I need it to. Packing around a cell phone, and a digital camera is no inconvenience in my world. Plus, I don't need to listen to music so bad that I require a device that holds 5000 songs.

I like my devices just the way they are. My new cell phone has a camera, but I don't use it.

9. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I think there is a lot of reason to talk smack about the iPods. They have been a runaway success, no doubt about that. But there are much better products on the market, and people are catching on. And as much as I hate to agree with Bill Gates, he is spot on when he says cellphones will supercede standalone devices. Integration=future.
  10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Not in the least from what I've heard. Microsoft makes a fotune selling Mac compatable software, let alone the Windows licenses in Virtual PC. I have yet to license OSX for my PC (But I'd LOVE to!!!!)
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I read that article, and found it interesting. I don't know that I agree with him, but he's the kind of guy that sees a challenge (such as this) and tries to tackle it. He thinks he can win.

Well, IMO, cell phones are far more disposable than iPods. With all the time it took me to download and fill 1/2 my 20 gig iPod, I'm in no hurry to get rid of it. My cell phone, however, I dispose of every 12 to 18 months. My iPod I'll keep as long as I plan to keep my TV: for many years.

Bill Gates can say all he wants, but he won't convert me.
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    To me the real killer device isn't a portable MP3 player, its a car bassed MP3 player that rivals my PC in storage and ease of use. This is where I listen to 99% of my music. I long for the day when I buy an album online, move it to my car on a USB flash drive and have it forever without worrying about scratching a CD.
  13. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    when there is a 60GB cell phone being produced then i will consider the switch.

personally, i think it would be easier to make the iPod have cell phone capabilities. what really gets me though, is all the "fu-fu" stuff that gets put onto cellphones. i dont need screensavers and cameras and pretty icons that bounce when the basic functionality of the phone is shakey. just give me a black and white screen flip phone that works properly and everytime i need to use it and i would be happy.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's close. The latest generation of micro-hard drives are even smaller than that in the iPods. Really tiny.. and I think some cell phone manufacturers have already signed on for them.

brad cook
  15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Goodbye overly commercialized consolidated FM "rock" radio.
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    In the US, maybe, but around here, no.

Another thing is that while iPods are cheap in the US, they are much more expensive in Europe - to the point that the whole Creative line is cheaper.
    For example, the MuVo TX 512 I've got is almost half the price of the Shuffle 512, yet it has many more features and better specs and sound quality.
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
  18. It doesn't rival PC storage, but an iPod with this Alpine radio is pretty close.

You put the iPod basically where ever you want (mines in the glvoebox), and control it directly from the radio. Pretty cool, and it friggin blows the iTrip outta the water. BTW - anybody wanna buy an iTrip?!?!
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Really? it's all over then? You’ve opened my eyes to how business works!

I hate to say it Robot, but ^^^ I think the game may continue despite your declaration that major hostilities have ceased in the region.

just use your good friend google.

;) ;) <--- I use these so no one gets mad. I'm just trying to point something out that I learned in econmoics class many years ago.
  20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Oh yeah,and for the record, whomever makes the first cell phone /mp3 player/PDA that's small, does streaming media and solves the big two (memory and battery life) get my cash, Apple, Sanyo, Sony, I don't really care who does it.