1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bill Graham & Eliot Wadopian

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by B. Graham, Sep 15, 2008.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Shameless plug:

Eliot is a great friend and has had a tremendous influence on much in my life. I studied with Eliot before and during some time I was enrolled at UNC-Asheville.

I was lucky enough to talk Eliot into doing a gig at Vincen't Ear in Asheville, NC. Two bass players, and that's it. The idea was to improvise some sort of theme, deviate from it, and then come back to it later as best we could to wrap up the tune. It worked for the most part, but far too long-winded at times, and a few tonal low spots, largely due to my skill not being anywhere near Eliot's. We were locked in, and that was the coolest thing I've ever experienced with music.

Eliot brought his Lang upright, and six string Ken Smith. I played a really cheap five string electric, and used an e-bow and some wooden and metal sticks woven between the strings from time to time. My tone's not that great due some technical difficulties with a truss rod, but nonetheless, maybe some of you folks might dig it.

http://www.violinobasso.net (look for the section for myself and Eliot, towards the bottom of the page).

Lastly, we did get a pretty good review out of the deal, which was fun to read:

"Graham and company's most direct, straight-up release yet. It's just him and (Eliot) Wadopian creating wonderful and beautifully precise jazz havoc with bass guitar and double bass. These guys manipulate strings like few others. At times it's fast and tension-filed, other times it's sublime and lilting. Brilliant." - Indie File

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Cool Bill; that's a great review! :D

3. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    This show was from 97 or somewhere thereabouts? I was there.

Had no idea then I would end up studying with Eliot several years later. The recordings sounds great.

4. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    We did two shows. These recordings are from the first, which I think was in 1995, and the better of the two. The second one had some issues, mostly due to the fact that I was trying to "be all that" and forgetting what my particular voice was to have provided. In short, I overplayed. I'd just gotten a Modulus Sweet Spot 6, and I went overboard.

We also added a drummer. Great drummer, but it sort of messed with the whole vibe of the thing.

I hope we get a chance to do another one of these, but it will likely be a studio thing. Vinvent's Ear was forced out of business by the building owners and the town of Asheville. It was such a wonderfully condusive place for this kind of music, and I don't know of another one in that town.

Glad you like the music, and thanks for giving it a listen.