Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Janklow sentence.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Bill Janklow was sentenced to 100 days for speeding and killing a biker. after 30 days, he can leave for 10 hours to do community service. :rolleyes: It's a good thing that the justice system's looking out for us bikers. :rolleyes:

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    That's horrible!

Did he at least get his driver's license revoked? Doesn't that count as vehicular manslaughter? Or something of that nature?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know something similar that happened in my town...

Guy was blind drunk, his a biker and his gal, broke the guy's leg and messed up her neck really bad. Cops cuffed him, then released him to his parent custody. Kept his license, kept the car, and has a rediculously low bail set.

He's now doing the court thing, and it's looking like he won't even get so much as a day of anything for it.

Why? Because his parents kinda own the town.

Yep, them bikers sure do see legal love.

4. was this the senator guy or whoever that was in the news a while back for all this? if so, he should do a lot more time than that!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah...it's the Senator-guy.

He shoulda had the book thrown at him a long time ago.
    This 100-day "sentence" for killing someone is an outright disgrace.

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Like it's been said, justice is green and your innocent until proven broke.

Can anyone say Chappaquiddick????

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It sickens me. :mad:

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When I heard that sentence last night on the news, I was stunned. Why? Because if I had many previous citations for speeding and finally killed a guy while I was speeding, what would happen to me? Big jail time, that's what.

I'm just sick and tired of rich, influential and famous people getting off with slaps on the wrist for crimes that ordinary folk would do serious time for.

I know the defendant claimed the "diabetes" excuse, but I didn't buy that one bit. Plus, the victim is still dead.

Chalk that sentence up to just one more example showing that some of us are more equal than others.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Word Bop!

I have about 70k miles in on bikes in my life.
    I gave up, I can't ride anymore around here, it
    is just too dangerous on the roads in RI.

That sentence is a travesty.

And everyone who rides, or who has ridden
    knows it.

The judge who adjudicated this case is a lackey
    and should be removed from office, or, if in the case of a plea bargain, should not have accepted this plea. And since he did, should be removed.
    As well as the sycophant prosecutor who will
    probably run for the Senate seat next.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cry the beloved country ...

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree 100%.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hopefully he'll share a cell with Rollo the mad dog rapist biker! :eek:

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not only that-
    ...some are given a forum on national TV/news and claim they're the victim!

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Word.

Like Thor, I used to ride (over the years, I'd estimate I've gotten well over 100K under my wheels, mostly Honda), and I gave it up - it's just too damn dangerous, particularly in Central Florida, home of the Eight Knuckled Blue-Tufted Driver*.

This was a very clear case of vehicular homicide, and Janklow should be under the jail, permanently. :mad:

*A reference to the vast sea of post-70, 5 foot nuttin', peekin' through the spokes of the steering wheel drivers here in the Orlando area. (i.e. you can't seen anything but eight knuckles and a tuft of blue-white hair coming at you! :eek: )

14. This is absolutely disgusting.

I bet if the situation were reversed, and some nobody driving a car hit and killed one of Janklow's kids while they were on a bike, they would not see daylight for a very long time.

Diabetes my arse! :spit:

RIP to the poor guy that lost his life.

What a world. :rolleyes:

Mike

15. Boplicity, I just realized I pretty much echoed what you said.

Mike :oops:

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent posts here. Many of us are angry and/or upset, and justifiably so IMO.

The "wealthy people are more equal than you or I" argument is a perfect reason why capital punishment should be reconsidered. I realize there are many arguments both for and against CP. My intent is not to reignite this debate (already been done in the Lounge). However my conscience forces me to say that the ultimate punishment should not be carried out at all unless it's carried out equally. Unfortunately, the fact is that the wealthy rarely get the death penalty even in those instances where they're convicted of a capital crime.

Apologies to the mods if I've taken this issue too far. Again, I offer no opinion on whether or not the death penalty should be carried out at all! I am only saying that it should not be carried out unless both Bill Gates and I have an equal chance of getting it for committing the very same crime.