Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Laswell

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by djproject, Jul 8, 2001.

1. I'm happy because I found out another bassist to identify with musically.

Bill Laswell. From what little I know of him, he is really into jazz, fusion and more recently electronica (particularly ambient). I discovered in my copy of <I>Excursions in Ambience: The Third Dimension</I>. One of his many, many names is Divination and the song is "Ancient Evenings (Najm-Al-Din) and I really like it.

I'm happy because I feel torn (especially in this group) between my musical loves and the fact that I'm a bassist. But now I've found a link between the two (or to put it more realistically, the two can finally make sense with each other and I'm not alone).

I appreciate your input as always. :)

Derek J. Power

2. Bill is great, my favorite is Invisible Design, great disk. Spacey with lots of odd but great playing.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bill Laswell...wasn't he the dude that did Praxis w/ Buckethead?

4. pereajc

pereajc

May 3, 2001
    I just read recently that Bill Laswell is going to be playing with Zakir Hussain in a group called Tabla Beat Science. Can't wait to see/hear what that's all about...

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout Arcana?
    Perhaps, the most difficult album I own in terms of listening to; this particular cd has Laswell, Tony Williams(drums), & Derek Bailey(guitar) goin' off into sonic-ville & beyond. Bailey, Hell, I dunno, anybody here got a clue about him?
    Basically, he uses the guitar as a tool to make 'sounds'? Not for the faint of heart. ;)

In any event, I love Laswell's production & his knowledge & what he's attempting to accomplish with music. His re-mix of Miles' electric music(called Pantalassa) is, IMO, happenin'; he definitely has an ear for that stuff!

6. ressurecting a moldy but goldy i know...
    Derek Bailey is a truly unique player IMO. Not my fav but I appreciate what he is doing; unlike anything I've heard B4. Check out "Mirakle" with GC Weston and Tacuuma.
    Laswell is a player that I have identified with maybe more than any other players out there today (besides Watt!) He is so prolific...which is both good and bad. Not all of his releases are _that_ good IMO. I have started to be a bit more judiscious in my CD shopping where as B4, I used to snatch up anything with his name on it. A friend told me that he must have a serious "fear of death", wanting to have his name out there as much as possible, ha!
    Some of my favs; "Ekstasis" by Skopelitis, that first Praxis album is SO fun, I love that. Golden Palaminos, "Third power" by Material; all classics you owe it to yerself to check out. His obscure one-offs are the coolest, a few with Musso are very good. I have found his latest stuff leaving me a little flat...guess I've heard it B4. I do like that Tabla Beat Science allot.

[​IMG]

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Another Laswell fan here.... I really liked his solo album from a few years back; I think it was called "Basslines." I play sitar and oud, so I love his forays into Indian and Arabic music.

8. Me too..the "Sacred Systems" series of releases are a terrific source for that. The new stuff is _ok_ but he's done it all B4 at some point. I like that new RadioAxiom but those Sacred System albums are similar...and better.

9. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I've been a fan for years too. I got into his playing through the Praxis albums, but have checked out most of his other projects as well.

The live Tabla Beat Science from the early 90's is bad ass. Zakkir Hussain is a tabla master. He's worked with him a lot since then.

I also dig the "Oscilations" series, and "Filmtracks" besides the ones mentioned above. And Sacred Systems is super sweet.

Here's a great link to all of his albums
    http://www.dtmgallery.com/catalog/laswell.htm

10. The live TBS is a fine piece i agree. Here is a bunch of clips from that; http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...3-3786843-6963844?v=glance&s=music&vi=samples A real "supergroup" if you will. Here is the site; http://www.tablabeatscience.com/home.html
    Yeah, have to admit that Bill has been a major influence on my style. ever since I bought "Basslines" waaaay back in the day. My free-dub band "Pacific Frontal System" has the Laswell/Musso track "Transonic" as part of our set. You can hear my version of it at the weblink below? I sample the high bits and then play deep down low with my "Laswell-in-a-can" DOD FX25.
    Handy link that gallery...ulp; more stuff that I don't have!
    That first Praxis album, Material's "Third Power" w/ all the P-Funk alumni (Cosmic Slop!!!!) and my all-time fav; Zillatron, Lord of the Harvest were all fairly pivotal I'd say. CHECK out that Bootzilla/Laswell album...sooooo fun and tripped out; definitely one of my top ten albums of all time, but that's just me(!)

http://www.duke.edu/~tmc/motherpage/albums_spinoffs/alb-zillatron_harvest.html

[​IMG]

sound clips; http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cd/review.asp?aid=55019

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thought that I would resurrect this old thread with some info on some cool-sounding Laswell releases coming up in 2005:

Pete Cosey/Bill Laswell/Toshinoro Kondo v Submerged - out on the Tzadik label

Remixes of Herbie Hancock's 70s/80s material - out on Sony/Columbia

Praxis - new album, feat. Iggy Pop, System of a Down, Bernie Worrell, Bill Laswell, DJ Disk, Buckethead and more - out on Sanctuary

Buckethead DVD and box set

Charged - new studio album

I think there might be a new Table Beat Science album coming as well.

12. Laswell is definitely one of a kind. I was a big fan when he was putting out funk stuff, back in the 80's Material's album One Down features Tony Thompson drumming, Nile Rodgers doing some guitar, and even a 15 year old Whitney Houston just doing devastating thing to a ballad.

I though Basslines had some great moments, too. "Upright Man" was one of my 2 favorite bass lines to learn that year; it taught me that you can create a killing line and have it be really simple (I was a fisionhead at the time).

from the lows,

Stew

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks for the updates, Dave. Keep us posted.
    ;)

14. Tell me more ! Do you have a link to some info for these releases ? Thanks .

15. Cool to hear Praxis is still doing things. One of my all-time favorite Laswell albums, and maybe top-five of all personally, is Material's "Hallucination Engine". Cool stuff.

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    No real info I'm afraid. Merely found these albums listed as upcoming on a few Laswell sites. For example:

http://www.turning-groove.de/Upcoming.html

Here is a link to some info on the Buckethead DVD:
    http://www.bucketheadland.com/Secret_Recipe_DVD/index.html

The Laswell project that I REALLY want (apart from anything with Cosey ;) ) to hear is his remix of the Tony Williams Lifetime 'Turn It Over' album - I think the original was notorious for it's atrocious mix. I've heard a couple of clips from Laswell's version (will post the link when I can find it again) and it sounds great. However, Universal is sitting on the completed project and there is no sign of a release! :mad:

17. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    MATERIAL: "MEMORY SERVES"!!!

the sound of urban decay... AMAZING album. Scared me then, scares me now.

18. oh, man... good call! what a great, underrated release!

from the lows,

Stew

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    "Pete Cosey/Bill Laswell/Toshinoro Kondo v Submerged - out on the Tzadik label"

I'm going to be on the lookout for that one big time! I have almost as many Laswell albums, as Miles Davis albums...and thats a lot :cool: His stuff with Pharoah Sanders is great also!