Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bill laswell

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Oct 8, 2000.

1. any fans out there , i picked up invisible design about a month ago and i keep grabbing it from my shelf

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    For some reason, I never got into Laswell as a bassist.
    I have a No Exit cd(cool playing by Sharrock & Brotzman...you gotta love a band that has song titles like "My Nuts/Your Chin")& just recently picked up a Ronald Shannon Jackson re-issue, RED WARRIOR. Truthfully, nothing Laswell played floated my boat.
    What Jazz stuff has he done 'cause he doesn't strike me a Jazz player(the above cds were in an 1/8 note Rock vibe).
    His production stuff IS cool; I'm assuming his reggae stuff would also be happenin'.
    Later.

3. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Laswell. Very interesting guy. There was a great interview with him in Bass Player way back(might be the one with Stu Hamm on the cover).

I checked out a No Exit cd once too and wasn't really interested in the bass parts.

Other than that the only playing I know of his is on Peter Gabriel's version of "Excellent Birds" on So which is fantastic. I originally thought it was Tony Levin. Laurie Anderson who co-wrote that tune with PG recorded her own version of it on...."Mr....Heartbreak or something or other I can't remember the name of that CD, but Laswell produced it.

Any Laswell fans out there want to recommend particular tracks and or CD's to check out?

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    My favorite is Bill's "Baselines" album, with creative playing, wacky sounds, and interesting arrangements. Some of the stuff he's done with Buckethead and Bernie Worrell in the Praxis project is also fabulous...

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bill Laswell is one of my all time heros! You can't pin him
    down, he takes chances, puts people together in the studio
    with no regard to commercial considerations. Check out the
    Axiom funk & dub collections if you can find them, awesome
    stuff!

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My favorite Laswell album for his bass playing is the Third Rail CD "South Central Delta". Although it has jazzers on board (Blood Ulmer, Amina Claudia Myers, etc.) it's really a funk/blues project. If you like stuff like the Meters, you'll enjoy this one.

For production, Material's "Hallucination Engine" is my favorite, Bill does play bass on this but so do some other players (from memory I think Jah Wobble and Jonas Hellborg) and it's hard to tell who's who.

For something "different" even for Laswell, there's always "Low Life" which is just Lasxwell on bass and Peter Brotzman on bass saxophone making a squalling mess of noise.