Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Lawrence J pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hoytbasses, Nov 19, 2004.

1. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    admittedly, at 52: I'm from the old school and am an R&B/Jazz player who in addititon to building basses, have played in working bands my whole adult life. I like J pickups run passive and , frankly, don't like the bother (and potential for failure on a gig) of onboard preamps. I have a great amp with an excellent eq section. Sure, I build plenty of basses with onboard pres/switchable mids etc.... but for me: I like the straight ahead sound of passive J's run straight into an amp with no stomp boxes or added efx (I'm a BASS player) ........

You may have read about the pair of matching claro walnut 5 string basses I built last summer for a fellow TB'er. In both basses I used Bill Lawrence pickups. These are solid, articulate, not overly hot, not overly bright, nice growly midrange style J pickups. They aren't noisy, they just do their jobs as promised. They're a great choice for a fretless J that you want to have THAT sound, as well as for your gig- every- night fretted bass.

They are reasonable in price, it was a reasonable wait to get them, and the Lawrence clan are very nice to deal with. And for those of you who may not know, Bill Lawrence is a historical figure in the world of electric stringed instruments. If he can't build a decent pickup, who can?

check them out!

Karl Hoyt

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Couldn't agree with you more, Karl. I built a fretless frankenjazz a few years back and put Bill Lawrence J pups in it. They sounded absolutely amazing. No noise even though I didn't bother to shield it. The fretless sound came out loud and clear. I was very satisfied with those pickups. I'd probably still have that bass today if it didn't weigh as much a battleship. My body and neck choices were based on price rather than weight and I suffered for it.

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I third Lrak's opinion. I have replaced most of the J-style pickups in my bass fleet with the J-45, and I love them. I've met Bill Lawrence, and he is every bit a genius when it comes to pickups.

My experience is that they do benefit from some pickup cavity shielding, though. Mine tend to pick up a little bit of buzz, especially around fluorescent lights, neon signs, and dimmers.

4. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    they're old school single coil pickups: so they will be expected to have a little noise in the environments you described. But let's face it, if you're playing next to beer lights, strobes, etc.... the sound of cackling drunk girls and (probably) a too loud drummer mitigate that little amount of noise anyhow

have a great weekend all.

kfh

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Don't forget about all the buzzing that is coming out of the guitarist's amp as well. Bass players seem to be more sensitive to noise than everyone else.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I thought the J-45s are stacked and hum canceling...

MM