Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bill lawrence p&j wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David Wilson, Apr 2, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I just got a set of Bill Lawrence P&J pups to put in my Fender Hot Rod P with U-Retro preamp. I have EMG's in there right now, they sound fine but I'm looking for something less colored.

Now, I'm not a pickup wiring expert but I've done enough changes myself that I know enough to get by in most cases.

However, I'm trying to understand this wiring diagram for two reasons. Firstly, so I can connect the pups to my U-Retro preamp. Secondly, to increase my general knowledge. I've never done any parallel / series switching before.

If you look at the attached diagram, you can see that Bill has outlined options for wiring the P in series or parallel.

Now, if I'm correct then white and black are they're usual hot / cold equivalents. What is the blue wire for? Is that purely for wiring the P&J in series? If so, as I'm not wiring them in series can I just leave the blue unattached and do the usual white/black to hot/cold connections?

cheers

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Dave

I have a set on the way allso please let me know what you think they sound like, I wonder if you can get a vintage tone out of them. Still rockin on the Ampeg:)

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Call Bill Lawrence and get the scoop straight from the source!

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    He's got a big enough backlog without me calling him and distracting him further! :)

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    David,

As I see it, in either and / or both cases, the 'blue' wire is the ground jump from both pickups to the standard back of the pot/s... although, your blend pot appears to be missing three connectors?? Does it have only three connections?

michael s.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hey Michael,
    that drawing is the one Bill included with the pups.
    I figured that one half of the blend pot is missing :)

I guess I'm just trying to work out what the standard hot/cold wires are here, so I can attach them to the preamp in my pass. But also, I'd like to understand what the other ones do, so I can increase my pickupl knowledge. I'm used to the cold being the ground, so having another ground wire isn't something used to. Or am I reading this wrong?

8. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
  9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Dave
    How do they sound mine are going to be put in the bass next week.:)

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hey there, haven't put them in yet. Work has been sucking all my free time out of me. Should give it a go next week, will be sure to report back :)

11. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    It looks like the blue wires are ground connections purely for screening purposes.

The blend, being a single pot in the diagram, would likely work as:

* Blend fully CW - both pickups full up in series.

* Blend turning ACW - The Ps will remain full up and rotating the blend ACW will gradually take out the J higher and mid frequencies signals according to the value of the X cap. Fully ACW will leave the low frequency signal of the J and the full response of the P.

Interesting!

To connect to a Retro, you could keep Bill's Blend and not use the MV and M Tone.

So with the Blend in circuit, connect the J black and white wires to the bridge input of the Retro as normal and connect just the white wire from the P to the hot of neck input of the Retro. (This is OK due to the buffering in the Retro) Then you have a mix of the BL blend and the Retro blend. This way you will be able to get the J pickup on its own but the Retro pan fully panned to the P will still include some of the J signal acording to the BL blend. (May sound complicated in words but worth trying in practise if it's easy to check out)

If you don't want to use the Bill's blend, just connect the white and black wires from each pickup to the Retro inputs individually as standard.

The blue wires appear to be screening grounds so can be connected to a normal ground in the bass, eg where the bridge ground is connected.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    John,
    thanks so much for the detailed and informative explanation. It's a very interesting sounding setup, but I think I'll try it without blend at first and maybe come back later and try the blend when I'm feeling more daring!

cheers!

13. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Very happy to have helped then!

John