Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 11, 2002.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

i am going to build a Telecaster AKA 51 p bass and i want to put a PJ pick ups in it. i am thinking about bill lawrence, what got my intererst is their pickups are all hum cancelling and the price is reasonable. Thanks;)
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bill Lawrence now runs a small family company and only sells direct.

You can send questions and requirements (for sound, price, custom spacing, ...) by email.
    His wife maintains the site and answers mails !

Bill is a Pickup Deity, and each time I asked I got nice answers. They're very friendly.
  3. LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    I searched this forum but information on Bill Lawrence pickups is extremely limited.

I would like to install Bill Lawrence J-45 & P-46 in my Yamaha 5-string as a PJ set up. I would like to know the spacing between the pole pieces, just to make sure that they do line up correctly on my Yamaha. I sent Bill an email last week, but still no reply. Does anyone here has a set of J-45 & P-46? Please measure the dimension for me.

4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Lawrences are swamped with email. It's better to phone them if you have a question.

I love my Bill Lawrence J-45s. Very nice, hi-fi tone that covers the whole bass spectrum. They're standard Fender Jazz Bass sizes (3-5/8" long for the J-45N neck position, 3-3/4" for the J-45L bridge).

I imagine the P-46s are the same size as standard P-bass pickups.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You may have noticed that Bill Lawrence PUs have an odd number of poles.
    According to Bill, his poles tend to generate an even magnetic filed all along the PU, so string position over the PUs is not so important.
  6. thanks jazz ad
    i wondered this and asked a bit about it
    does this result in the same effect as a bar magnet
  7. i too am thinking of ordering a J-45 and J-46 for a 5 string. I am nervous about the fact that the poles wont line up as the string spacing at the bridge is narrow at 17mm spacing. i spoke to Becky (bill's wife) and she said that the pickups sense the string all along the pickup a bit like a blade design. still the idea of the poles not lining up with the strings kind of makes me nervous. anyone got thoughts or experience on this before i order?
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    It will be fine. The magnetic field doesn't shoot out of the top of the pole piece like a laser, but has a much broader spread, so the fields from all the pole pieces overlap and the strings will be sensed fine. The man (BL) does know his stuff.
  9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, they're built so they'll work fine with 4,5 and 6 string basses.
  10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I have used J-45 pickups in both 4 string (Fender Jazz) and 5 string (MTD Beast 5) basses. They worked great, and sound excellent. No issues at all on the pole pieces lining up with the strings.
  11. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I have a P-46 in a 5 string. It sounds great and has an even response across the strings. If you do go for a PJ set you have to let them know because the wiring is different.
  12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

That sounds like a really fun project!

Please be sure to post some progress pics. :)
  13. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    This really is a case of 'don't be fooled by our low prices'. If the pole pieces don't line up, they still sound great. I put one of the P's in a MIM Fender. Nice punch, presence, and clarity in my opinion. Sounded even better after I added a Raven pre!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I ended up buying a Schecter Model T and putting the Bill Lawrence pick ups in that.The bass is actually up for sale.
  15. glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    The ONLY problem with BL pups is the time between order and delivery. It can be up to sixteen weeks, but almost never less than eight. Great pickups, a bargain at twice the price.