Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Lawrence

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bizzaro, Jul 23, 2001.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Anyone at TB use Bill Lawrence's pickups? I am going to add a bridge position J style pickup to my P bass and am considering his stuff. I am also defreting this bass and that will have an effect on what pickup I should use. Any suggestions? How about exact placement of the pup on the bass? I would like to get as close to an upright sound as possible. How about recommendations for replacement pups for the split humbuckers?

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Just moving this back up to the top. I can't believe no one has tried his pick ups! Anyone?

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have a Fender Roscoe Beck that has pickups based on a Bill Lawrence design (but are probably Fender OEM). They're humbuckers, but they're designed to put out a very authentic vintage J tone when tapped--complete with 60 Hz hum.

I don't think adding a bridge J PU to a bass would improve its ability to emulate an upright. The neck pickup is the one you should be playing with.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    You are probably absolutely correct about the bridge position, but then again, it will also give me some tone variation. It already has the split humbuckers in the neck spot, or really between the two positions of neck and bridge. I am going to add another pickup somewhere and of some kind,(single or humbucker). It is a P bass I am rebuilding and would like it to be more versatile. I guess I already mentioned the fretless part which certainly has a bearing on what pickup would best serve its tone. If you or anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear it. :D

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Last I saw on Bill Lawrence's website he was no longer offering (or at least listing) bass pickups. Too bad (I would have bought at least one). The guy has done lots of great work over the decades. I liked the approach he took to multiple polepieces for his bass pickups.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    He does still offer bass pups, and his prices are great. You may have to email him and ask for them, that is how I connected width him.