1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bill Me Later

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by BawanaRik, Mar 19, 2013.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I renewed my membership by giving my credit card info. Now I find myself getting billed from a Bill Me later.

I've had "bill me later" pegged as a scam. Why or how my membership got sent to them is beyond me.

I pay as I go. If everyone were to do that the world would be a better place.

To tell the truth if I could pay my membership cash I would do that.

I guess I have two points here. Watch out for Bill Me later. It seems like a scam designed to get people in debt. that's bad.

And second I'm trying to find out how my TB membership ended up on BML. I gave TB my credit card info in good faith. I've tried to find out from TB what happened with no luck.

Does anyone know?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    both of your complaints at the helpdesk have been forwarded to paul, for him to address.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've noticed when I use Paypal sometimes it defaults to Bill Me Later. A couple times I didn't realize until after I paid. No biggie, I paid it off with the card I was going to use.

-Mike

5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Double check the payment screen the next time it happens. For me, even though it defaulted to BmL, I could click the small edit button and choose the credit card. I doubt your only choice was BmL even if it looked that way.

I read your link. It's people not paying attention to the checkout screen. If a person doesn't read the fine print, they only have themselves to blame. Is Paypal being sneaky? Perhaps, but it's not being forced on anyone.

-Mike

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    The term for being sneaky in financial matters if fraud.

I think that anyone who finds themselves staring at a Bill Me Latter screen that they didn't call to cancel the transaction by backing out.

Let the vendor know you don't like being scammed.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Yeah. Paypal defaults to BillMeLater unless you specify under your preferred payments you don't want it.

Kinda stinks. I ended up with things on credit and I didn't want on credit because I always had my bank account as default and it magically changed.

9. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I had no problems with any of it, after reading all the information when setting up Paypal and BML I made the appropriate choices and have had no problems, and I also just payed my membership like a week ago. As well, I really love the ability to choose from the various options of paypal and 6 month no interest through BML. FWIW, I have not had credit card dept in over ten years but do often take an allowed payoff time with no interest over saving in the bank and then buying. I think the biggest thing in todays world is making sure you read all the details about a particular product or company - somewhere it will let you know the details/choices but it is likely in fine print somewhere.

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    There's is no magic. It's called fraud.