Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill the Buddha Dickens

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass for Beef, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    What do the people think of Bill Dickens. I think he's a great player...but sometimes a little excentric in his playing.
    Tootles,
    Cherron

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yes!! And he's very cool around his fans. Loves to talk bass.

3. You'll find a mixed reaction here. Those that are familiar with Bill will say that he is extremely talented and has groove a mile deep. Those are that are familiar with only one aspect of Bills playing will say he is a wanker.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    He looses himself sometimes in too much notes, but the guy has groove, that's for sure.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    His work ethic is amazing. He'll practice for 10 hours for no reason.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    People always focus on his slapping and showmanship, but behind that, he's one of the best fingerstylists I've ever heard.

7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Great player, still waiting on that solo album tough.... :meh:

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, it's what, two years overdue now?

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Its now available onhis website :hyper:

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Could you point me towards some of his fingerstyle recordings?

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I'd call that a stupid waste of time. Of course he has a reason.

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    The guy sure can play. Quick little (or not so little) bugger.

13. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Who does/did he play with?

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I second that. I've only heard his wanking, which made me think, "Okay. Cool. Now play something." But if you folks are right about his depth, I definitely want to hear it.

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

He's a great slapper, but his fingerstyle talent is what I admire the most from him. He and Richard Bona are simply awesome in that territory.

16. I think its on his website, a video of him, wooten, oteil, and someone else (dont remember who). I think his fingerstyle soloing is VERY melodic! I really enjoy his finger style playing but once he started slapping he kinda lost me. Not saying he is a bad slapper.. His style just isnt what I would normally listen to.

edit: other guy was Steve Bailey.

17. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I meant that he will pick up his bass to tune it, and 10 hours later, he's still playing- thats what he told me anyway. Thanks for your insightful response. :spit:

18. huh?? lost me

edit: nevermind

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

So he'll play for 10 hours after tuning, that's cool. I've done that before. My point was that practicing(i.e. not just playing idly) without purpose or reason is about as useful as walking around in the mud, playing for 10 hours out of sheer love of music and love of your instrument, is great.

20. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I have a different perspective than most of you guys having not only known bill for many years but also having subbed for him on gig's.having to learn bill's part's i am always amazed at the fact that,yes he can play monster slap AND fingerstyle solo's but his groove playing is just as strong IMO.many guy's who are bass "soloist"couldn't play a groove if they had a gun to their head, that's why they are usually playing by themselfs.as for bill practising for 10 hrs for "no reason" bill dickens is the one who told me about practising with a purpose and having a goal that your trying to get to.