Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill "The Buddha" Dickens

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alexssandro, Sep 24, 2001.

1. I just read this interview of the Buddha by Victor Wooten.

http://www.billthebuddhadickens.com/about/about01.html

I've heard his name and seen some pictures here and there, but I haven't heard him play yet. Would anyone care to comment on his playing, both technically and musically? It sounds like he's a real monster!!!

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Click Bill the Buddha Dickens .com go to sound samples. there are a lot of real audio samples up. He is quite amazing, and he uses Conklins.

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    There is a signature 7-string Groove Tools by Conklin after his name, and he is famous for playing a 9-string.

4. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    About his playing:

Yes its quite amazing cause its so fricken fast, but in my opinion I dont think he could really fit in with a band, especially if they were playing a balled or something slower.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Monster chops, no soul, IMHO.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    funny you should say that. he's been on tour all summer with barry manilow :eek:

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Agreed, I downloaded the files on his web site, and I didn't like him at all.

8. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Really? Didnt know that (quite obvious), Im saying that since its all fast stuff in the things Ive heard of him.

So Ill just say what the most have said: Monster chops, no soul.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've heard billy play a lot - he's got a _lot_ of soul, a _lot_ of feel. the issue here is that when he is doing a clinic or playing at a namm show, he accentuates what sets him apart from the crowd - there aren't that many guys that can play as fast or clean as him, so he focuses on that. i've seen him do things that really impress me, and believe me, i'm pretty hard to impress.

if he were to get up there and show his soul, it wouldn't be as big a sale. believe me, he's got it.

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    That's probably true. I've only heard Bill in situations where technique over taste was most important to the listeners, NAMM shows and the like. I don't care for his tone or playing and when I've heard him speak, I didn't like or agree with what he had to say. I would like to hear him in a more musical atmosphere to hear what he can truly do but I don't think I'll suffer through a Barry Manilow show to do it.

11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I think groove is ALWAYS more imprtant than technique.

Anybody listen to the song fight for your mind(live) from Ben Harper?

That bass solo is much better than anything I ever heard from Bill Dickens. Of course it's only my opinion, and I respect all of yours too. But for me speed is not important at all, it take a lot more than that to impress me.

12. Agreed. Like watching a machine play bass. (IEHO*)

*In Embellishers Humble Opinion :)

13. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Juan forgot his last name (guy from Ben Harper) is a groove machine.

14. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Juan Nelson.

A self-confessed funk bass player.

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I agree that the groove is the most important thing but unfortunatley at the big shows nobody grooves, they just shred. I personally don't care for the shredding but that's all anyone does at NAMM and there's a horde of people hanging around just waiting to blow smoke up someone's ass about how fast and great they are. You read the article Victor Wooten wrote on Bill and you see he's the same way. The thing that got VIC to notice Bill was how fast he could play.

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i just checked out the sound files on his site and i liked his playing. he can solo in an eighth note feel through changes. imo, something you should be able to do when you're in that category of players. i hear "virtousos" just wiggle their fingers in the upper register of a 6 string and do the stanley style b.s. runs, but dont hear any harmony.

i also thought from the limited examples i heard that he seemed to have a great groove and a definite command of the instrument. it wasnt something i would clasify as monster chops and no soul, but maybe i need to hear more of his playing.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    This is very true, as proof, check the discography on his site. He did the bass for the Cosby show damn it!!

18. I like the tracks on his site with chordal playing, but on the high C and F strings it sounds virtually identical to a guitar- or is that the whole point?