1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bill Wyman 1975...what bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jd56hawk, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Someone swears it's a Framus, I seriously doubt it. I thought it was a Hagstrom. Script looks like neither.
    Is it one of the masses he out together himself?
    wyman.jpg

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Pretty sure that's either A) the weird no-name bass that he pulled the frets out of and used on every single Rolling Stones album up through Some Girls; or, B) an Ampeg Dan Armstrong model (the one with the wood rather than lucite body obviously)

3. I'd vote wooden body Dan Armstrong (MUCH lighter than the Lucite ones), as TWGRRB was heavily into SVT's at the time.

TolerancEJ and jd56hawk like this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Good call.
    Photo_Editor-1502460172938.jpg

mikewalker and Bob_Ross like this.
  5. Agreed with the others, that's a Dan Armstrong model.

The Framus bass most commonly associated with Bill Wyman was a singlecut semi-hollow Star Bass, like this:
    hrcparis11.jpg

Gizmot, PsyDocHill and Mark76 like this.
  6. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Up to Some Girls, not through. Some Girls and Tattoo You were recorded with a Travis Bean. Bill also played his Travis Beans for the tours that supported those records.

7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ah, thanks for that. I knew Some Girls was the transition album, just didn't know which side of the line it was on!

Boot Soul likes this.
  8. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Like this

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wyman also took a band saw to that 1st bass. Before Jaco defretted and lacquered up a used bass, Bill Wyman did. He detailed it in a Guitar Player interview that was published around the same time Some Girls was released. Billy Preston liked Wyman's klunker bass so much, he wanted to buy it but Wyamn wasn't selling.

There a a few pictures of that bass.

Mick & Keith always admonished Bill to; "Just buy a Precision" but Wyman's small hands made a P-Bass difficult for him to play. He toured with Mustang basses for a number of years as well.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Here's a pic of Wyman's original bass: IMG_2986_zpsqdlye4us.jpg

mikewalker, mindwell and Bob_Ross like this.
  11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Wyman61bass.JPG

Bill's home made bass from 62.

TD

12. Well,that is an ugly thing with a pencil thin neck. Sounded good though.

13. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    You can see the aluminum neck of the Travis Bean bass in this part of the vid. I know they're highly sought after by some, but wouldn't that aluminum neck be ultimately unstable in changing temps? I've never played one, but I've seen Shellac a few times in concert. Steve Albini and Bob Weston both play Beans. Bob Weston gets a pretty cool tone from his Bean bass.
    upload_2017-8-11_23-4-50.png

14. I have heard that the necks did move around with changing temperatures and that the just the warmth from your hands alone would be enough to do so. Just repeating what I read though.

15. He also had a shoulder injury , which is why he played in such a upright position and used short scale basses .

16. And from that original bass, now there's this:

Bill Wyman Signature bass Bill Wyman

. . . . which just goes to prove you can't always get what you want, but this ain't bad for 595GBP.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wyman's original fretless bass looked something like this before he got hold of it:

dallas-tuxedo-lge.jpg

Dallas Tuxedo bass, sort of the same company that originally came up with the Fuzz Face, as they merged with Arbiter.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  18. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    bill.jpg

I bought one of the Koa TBs (used) in the 80s - mainly inspired by seeing Bill with his white one on the cover of Guitar Player. (and listening to Some Girls - that was the first "brand new" Stones album I ever bought, still love that record!)

I was pretty choked to learn that ONLY Bill got to have the Short Scale version - all the other TB basses were long scale. Anyway, no problems with neck stability whatsoever, even "up in Canada". It did feel uncomfortably cold sometimes, but it sounded pretty nice :D

packhowitzer likes this.
  19. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    In my trombone years, I gigged with two bassists who used aluminum beans. One was a jazz/latin player rooted in pre-slap funk, the other a talented thumb player (stroke and slap) who gigged with Evelyn "Champagne" King and other quality acts. They both sounded great on these axes!

20. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    PassinWind IIRC has a 77 Travis Bean which He bought new.