1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bill Wyman Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blues_bassist, Mar 30, 2013.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    So I'm Hauge Rolling Stones fan and I absolutely love Bill Wyman's bass lines. He played with such feel and between him, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards, almost all of the Stones songs had an unbelievable groove to them.

So, does anybody else feel that Bill Wyman was a great bassist? Share your appreciation here!

2. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    +1.

3. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    Dude, Bill Wyman is one of my biggest inspirations as a bass player! I definitely emulate his style into my own playing! He is the man on walking bass lines!

4. JBW

JBW

Dec 18, 2010
    Missouri
  5. I believe Keith Richards played bass on the original recording of sympathy With the Devil. Quite a few of the iconic Stones basslines were recorded by other members of the band, including at a later stage Ronnie Wood, who in my opinion is a great bass player. (For example on the Faces 'Maggie May'). BW did not seem to be involved by Mick and Keith that much in the recording side of things, so it is hard to assess his capabilities by listening to the old classics. He was certainly competent playing live judging by the videos.

6. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    If I remember correctly Wyman played on Sympathy For the Devil. But I could be wrong.

7. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    It's one of the few recordings he didn't play on. But I like his playing on the live versions way better than Keith's original.

Bill is the MAN.

8. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Sympathy for the Devil is Keith. That said, Wyman is one of the most unorthodox players for that genre of music IMO. Even his choice of instruments was unusual. One of my favorites for sure.

9. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I stand corrected, just looked it up myself. Keith did indeed play bass for Sympathy. But yeah, Bill's style definitely is unique. It's just so... good!

10. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    Hugging that Framus- Bill's The Man.

11. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    'Love Bill!! A key to the Stones sound (with Charlie).
    'Just not the "sound" without Bill. Great tone and a groove-king.
    One of my faves.

12. portpc

portpc

May 31, 2011
    We should all be as fortunate as Bill Wyman, marry the babysitter & still be gigging well into our 70's..

He has a great website (just Google him..)

13. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Richards played bass on the recording of Jumpin' Jack Flash, too.

14. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Yes, I think that is why the song has always sounded so different live. I think that Keith held the root note when the second chord (flat seven) is played on the original recording. But why didn't he just tell Bill to play that? I'm sure Bill has done that on other songs a zillion times.

15. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I once read that Wyman wasn't called to the studio that day. I saw them live only once (in 1970 with Mick Taylor), but have heard many live recordings and the tunes sound different each time.

16. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Absolutely a great bassist.
    I think he got screwed in the mix most of the time and others they recorded without him together. But he definitely was great!

17. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
  18. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I love Bill, especially his newer recordings with his own band. Funny thing about Bill and Charlie, I read an interview with him where he said that Charlie would listen to what Keith was doing, and not him so much. He said he was pretty much on his own in the Stones.

19. A great player for sure.

As for Keith, dig his bass playing in The Dirty Mac (from the Rock and Roll Circus). Quite good, actually.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The first known fretless electric bassist. Bill Wyman rules.