Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Wyman did you like his bass lines?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassesq, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Bassesq

Bassesq

Apr 9, 2004
    Long Island
    As a new bassist, I've been learning Beatles and Motown (hate to give away my age). Anyway, I picked up a book with a bunch of Stones songs in them and I think the bass lines are pretty interesting. They seem harder (at least for me since he bounces around more) than the Beatles stuff (generally speaking) for sure.

But what do you more experienced players think of his work??

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Under my thumb is a cool one.

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I've always thought Bill was underrated.
    Some excellent basslines imho. :bassist:

4. he's often quite sloppy in places- as if he kept the first take as the final version, but I like a lot of his lines-
    eg. Undercover of the night, Start me up, Slipping away, Rock and a hard place, Miss you.

5. His lines were pretty simple but they served the songs well, IMO.

As a side note, I can't remember who said that, but I read in BP that when creating a bassline, you should start with the most notes, then strip your line down to the core elements - the little things that make people's butts move. I think Bill was pretty good at that. :cool:

I heard him play some crappy upright lines, though. Waaaay out of tune.

6. Even keeping in mind that some classic Stones bass was played by others (e.g., "Sympathy For The Devil" is Keith, "Tumbling Dice" is Mick Taylor, "Emotional Rescue" is Ron), Wyman did a lot of nice work with the Stones. Very much the anti-McCartney--he was not interested in being melodic, but funky. Even something as simple as his line on "Satisfaction" reveals this mindset.

As far as his sloppiness...some of it might be attributable to the fact that he played a small, Japanese fretless bass back on those early sessions. Maybe his intonation was just bad. ;)

Oh...I remember when the Undecover album came out there was a lot of talk about Mick bringing in Sly & Robbie to "funk up" the title track. I'd always assumed that Robbie was responsible for the killer bass on that song. Turns out it was Wyman after all. Great stuff.

7. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California

Well, thanks, friend. I just learned something here. I always thought it was Bill Wyman playing that slick funky bass on the song, "Emotional Rescue". Hmm. That's alright. At least it's him on, "Miss You". That's a great rhythm n' groove song...minus the lyrics and Mick's inane bantering. In fact, I wish the Stones did more instrumentals during the 70's. I think Mick ****ed up the song, "Shattered", with all that screaming and jibberish he spouts throughout. Otherwise, that could have been a greater song.

Or, that's just my opinion.............. :smug:

8. After all is said and done, Bill is a blues bassist. All of his work has its roots in the blues and he never strayed far from those roots. I think Bill's "bluesiness" and Charlie's jazz sensibilities made the Stones what they were. I always thought the Stones (and to a lesser degree, Chas Chandler and the Animals) were the rootsy antithesis to the Beatles slick pop.

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yeah - 100% agree with that!

If you listen to Bills "new" band "The Rythm Kings" theres some very solid bass playing going on there :bassist:

10. Don't know about "Shattered" or "Miss You," but I do know that Keith was livid that Mick shat all over the instrumental he and Ronnie came up with for the Emotional Rescue LP, "Dance," by putting lyrics to it. So it would appear the Stones might have liked to do more instrumentals, but Mick was always their to foist words on them (and, not coincidentally, get a writing credit.)

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Bill Wyman I didn't think his basslines were worth while

12. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Bill's playing had a nice feel to it that worked well with Charlie...my fave is "We Love You" - great sound, nice slidey stuff... ;)

McCartney was much more harmonically sophisticated...or was that George Martin? :D

13. motorhall

motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    I thought some of his bass lines were okay, but I generally don't like the tone of his bass - pretty much just a lifeless thud.

14. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    the problem at least to my ears is that his playing on the recordings is pretty subdued,with a few exceptions i can barely hear his lines.miss you rocks though.

15. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    These days I sometimes jam along to Stones records.I play my own lines(ahem,roots).

Yes Bill was good.Again Undercover etc. were pretty underrated IMO.Definitely better than the other horrible musicians in the band.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    While people don't like most of the Stones' later output, Steel Wheels has some nice grooves.