Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Wyman technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by deepestend, Nov 9, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Hey,

I'm going to be playing a Stones cover set with my band to open a special show here in NYC. Any advice on how to nail the Bill Wyman technique? I'm not so concerned about gear as it's just one special set... I'm playing an L2000 with TI flats through a sansamp stomp box and and ebs multicomp...Anyway, any advice. Looks like I should probably use pick for a lot of the songs seeing as Keith or Ron played guitar style bass on many of the recordings... anything else to know?

J-R

2. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Stand very still and make eye contact with females in the front 2 or 3 rows. This particular technique is explained in detail by Wyman in his book "Rolling With The Stones" :)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think he played a lot of stuff with the thumb (oldie-style, not slap-style).

4. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Bill Wyman primarily played with a flatpick.

5. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Fuzzy tone. Yeah, you have to use a pick, I've seen lots of pics and videos of the Stones and he almost invariably used a pick.