Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Wyman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Acacia, Jul 13, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am posting this in reference to the McCartney thread.

I love Wyman's style. I am a huge Stones fan. Since I have learning this damn 4-stringed instrument, Wyman's playing has been a great influence on me. That guy can walk around a bass.

I'll take him over McCartney anyday, but that's just my opinion. Paul is a great musician as well.

------------------
    Sean

My website

My eBay stuff

CDs and Concert shirts for sale

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Acacia,

I too am a big fan of Bill Wyman!!! Although I can't name him as an influence, I have to admire his approach.

Wyman doesn't follow any of the so-called rules and just does his own thing, and it works!! In fact, I remember reading an interview where he stated that after 25 years of being the bassist for the Stones, he still had no idea what he was doing! ( I'm sure he meant that tongue-in-cheek.)

The coolest thing about him? His basslines are simple, yet extremely effective. To me, that is the mark of a bassist of the highest caliber.

Cheers!!

------------------
    Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

3. Bass66

Bass66

May 18, 2000
    Bill is very underated. Hell, he held the bottom dowm for quite a while. While not an Entwistle or a John Paul Jones, his playing was always rhyhmic and supportitive.That's what the Stones are about. The Rollong Stones are one of the few rock bands that really groove and swing. Even the Beatles never had the bump and grind of the Stones. Compare Jumping Jack Flash to Get Back, there is a real difference in how the Rhythm section swings

4. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    Bill Wyman is a very clever musician. Just listen to the basslines from "Start me up" or "Satisfaction". He doesn´t think like a guitar player at all. The bass on those songs contribute a lot to the Stones sound! I don´t know how he thinks when he constructs his basslines. They sound a bit wierd when you concentrate on them but Bill makes the songs sound even better with his playing.

5. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    Yeah, one more thing. His playing on "Honky Tonk Women" is wonderful. Simple stuff but only he can do it. Feel the groove he has going during the choruses after the solo. It makes my hair stand up!

6. I agree with all that's been said so far. I like "She's So Cold" - simple but very effective. Also check out "Anyway The Wind Blows" by Bill Wyman and The Rhythm Kings - that has some nice tunes and great playing.

- Wil

[This message has been edited by Wil Davis (edited July 14, 2000).]

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Still prefer McCartney but have always loved Wyman. Now he definately never received as much appreciation as he deserved.

I'm especially fond of his bassline on Under My Thumb and King Bee.

8. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I too like his groove in "under my thumb".

I cant help but wonder if we wouldnt be wise to check out the Bassists that influenced him.I know that Bill wyman is the only one that can play like Bill Wyman,but wasn't he influenced by early blues cats like Willie Dixon?

I seem to remember an old interview with Eric Clapton where EC was asked how it felt to have so many young players copying him.EC said something like"I'm tempted to think that,but why should they copy me when they can listen to Freddy King and B.B.King and other greats."Sorry for using a guitarist as an example.

I think part of what makes Mr.Wyman's Bass lines so appealing is that they are closer to original Blues masters.

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  10. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    That is right. Keith is a good bassplayer too, with a very different style than Bill. He also played on Jumping Jack Flash and the great track Live With Me from the Let it Bleed album. Keith recorded Sympathy for the Devil with a flatwound strung pre CBS P-bass through a Vox bass amp. (I think it was a solid state Super Foundation with a 18 inch speaker.) The other stones guitarists Mick Taylor and Ron Wood have also played bass on some recordings by the band. Taylor played a J-bass for a few tracks on Exile on Main Street. I think it was Ventilator Blues and Tumbling Dice. Ron Wood laid down the bass on many tunes, one is Hold on to Your Hat from Steel Wheels. Bill Wyman says he hated Rons bassplaying. Too much flash! I think it was OK but maybee it fitted The Faces/Rod Stewarts solo projects (where Ron actually was the bassist) better than Stones.

11. Bass66

Bass66

May 18, 2000
    Actually, Ronnie Wood played guitar with the Faces. He played Bass with Jeff Beck. He was pretty good in a power trio setting.

Ronnie Wood also played on Emotional Rescue if I'm not mistaken. Keith has a cool bass style, very Reggae influenced from his MANY years exploring that style.

Interesting to note, that Bill has very small hands and has always played short scale basses. When Keith or Ronnie play, they usually play a Full scale P-Bass or J-Bass.

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I always thought Ron Wood was a fine bass player - well above average and a semi mediocre guitarist.

13. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    Acctually, Ron Wood played bass on parts of the Rod Stewart albums Gasoline Alley, Smiler and Every Picture tells a story. Give his "lead" playing on Maggie May a listen! He also did most of the guitars on those albums. Other bassplayers for the records were Ronnie Lane and, I think, Willie Weeks. (W.W also played bass on the song It´s Only Rock ´n´ Roll by the Stones...)

14. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Wyman is truly excellent especially in the Stones setting.I think his playing adds hooks and compliments the "weave" Richards talks about.I am not a "details" type person,I dont know what strings or amp this guy or that guy uses,but one of my writing partners is.He tested me on picking out Wyman from Keith and Ron W.Hed play the Stones CD and I would guess.After about ten correct picks he gave up.Wyman is a distinctive player.About the Beatles vs.Stones thing,I think each rhythm section was unique and perfectly suited to their respective situation.I couldnt see Charlie Watts in the Beatles,or McCartney in the Stones.Personally I dont feel McCartney would fit in too many other bands.He plays too much and varies his lines to the point of distraction from the song.Bill Wyman I feel could fit in other situations better.

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >After about ten correct picks he gave up.Wyman is a distinctive player.About the >Beatles vs.Stones thing,I think each rhythm section was unique and perfectly suited to their respective situation.

Yep!

>Personally I dont feel McCartney would fit in too many other bands.He plays too much and varies his lines to the point of distraction from the song.

I can't say I agree. The only thing I find distracting about McCartney's playing is just how nicely it fits the song. I can't deny that he 'could' be busy but no busier, IMO than a lot of other very excellent bassist. Jemmott, Jamerson, Bruce, Enwhistle, etc all wrote very busy bass lines but never to the detriment of the music.

Bill Wyman I feel could fit in other situations better.

16. Bass66

Bass66

May 18, 2000
    Kind of off the Bill topic but talking about Beatles and Stones in each others bands, I always thought a great lineup was the Rock and Roll Circus band with
    John Lennon(vocals,Guitar)Keith Richards(bass),Clapton(lead)and Mitch Mitchell(drums).

Can you imagine if they had played for a few months together? Keith's Bass and John's Rhythm Guitar would have been great!! Total straight forward Rock and Roll Rhythms!

17. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bass66:
    Kind of off the Bill topic but talking about Beatles and Stones in each others bands, I always thought a great lineup was the Rock and Roll Circus band with
    John Lennon(vocals,Guitar)Keith Richards(bass),Clapton(lead)and Mitch Mitchell(drums).

Can you imagine if they had played for a few months together? Keith's Bass and John's Rhythm Guitar would have been great!! Total straight forward Rock and Roll Rhythms!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are correct!

18. Nojja

Nojja

Jul 15, 2006
    Check out the song "Miss you" its his best and most famous bass line. Its god damn improvisation through the whole song. Its really hard to play, cuz he changes it all the time. Still its super great, disco groove.

I have the song in the Guitar Pro and have almost learned all in it. It is pretty hard when he does thouse walks up.

dodidodidodiodi.

19. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Great bassline, I was actually playing it (or trying to) off of tab while watching football today. Lots of variance on the main riff, it truly grooves!

20. Coolest bass player ever.
    Love his tone on 'Have you seen you mother baby'