1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Billie Eilish never heard of Van Halen

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

First of all I have never heard of Billie Eilish. That doesn't mean she is not a good performer but it probably means that I am not aware of some young musicians.
    I really enjoyed the article (the link is below). The writer talked about some of these issues we have discussed here many times.
    I know that generational division is not a good thing. We boomers can learn quite a bit from those younger than us. In the same way younger generations can learn from our experience as well. As for me, younger people could learn quite a bit from the mistakes I have made. :D
    I love discovering new things, including new music. Sometimes it is a young artist, other times it is someone from previous generations that I have never heard before. It was great discovering some of the older musicians like Sister Rosetta Tharpe and the Blind Boys of Alabama.
    Here are a few quotes from the article:
    "A lot of the unpleasantness towards younger artists seems to stem from a fear of irrelevancy. Sure, it’s not exactly a good feeling to know the bands you once idolised mean nothing to younger generations. But as many on Twitter pointed out, it’s wonderful to think of the moment these teenagers do discover artists such as Fleetwood Mac or Nirvana for the first time. For me, doing the same thing in my late teens while I was going through a classic rock phase at university, I imagined it was a lot like how explorers felt discovering Tutankhamun’s tomb."

"Watching Kimmel interview Eilish reminded me of a viral video where a father challenged his sons to try to call someone using an old dial telephone. You can hear him laughing as he watches them struggle (they actually seem to do an admirable job with a defunct piece of technology they’d never encountered before). The best part about it was a comment on social media, where someone pointed out: “I bet they had to show him how to upload the video.” Older generations would do well to listen, rather than laugh, at people like Eilish. They might learn something."

Of course there will alway be some who will write off others with any reason they choose. Their loss. I look forward to listening to Billie Ellish. Maybe I will like her and maybe I won't but it will be fun checking out her music.
    Here is a link to the article:
    Why should Billie Eilish or any teenager give a fleeting thought to a rock band that no longer matters like Van Halen?

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Currently being hashed out here:
    My Opinion of Wolfgang Van Halen Just Got a Big Bump

3. slobake

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    She's 18. You're 73 years older than her.

Beej, bassdude51, squarepeg and 11 others like this.
  5. slobake

Okay, what are you trying to say? :D

6. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    She's 17. At least for another 13 days.

- John

lizardking837 likes this.
  7. Davey28

Davey28 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    Does Van Halen really not matter any more? Not a troll question! I can still remember dropping the needle on their first record. Everything changed after that!

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What does "mattering" really mean? I don't like their music at all but I know who they are. It seems to me to be more about ignorance of history in general. They're an influential band that people who aren't ignorant of the world should know about but that spans all subjects. Kids her age probably don't know about the USSR. "That's part of Russia right?" Who was Jimmy Hoffa? "He was in that movie right?" It's a general pervasive ignorance that spreads across all ages. It's sad.

9. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    What's the big deal here? She's 17, A Different Kind Of Truth came out in 2012 when she was 10, and it wasn't like that was a ground breaking release by any stretch. Before that Balance came out before she was even a possibility.

IF her parents were big VH fans then MAYBE she'd have more familiarity with them, but its certainly understandable that a kid POP SINGER wouldn't really know who they are. She's not a rock star, shes a POP star.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    "Yet there’s absolutely no reason why Eilish, or anyone her age, should give a fleeting moment’s thought to a rock band who carry little to no weight in the 21st century." I'm not even sure how to answer such ignorance.

"Why does she need to prove herself, when she’s become the biggest success story the music industry has seen in years?" Never heard of her.

"Clearly, she knows something these older critics don’t." No, no, she doesn't. She knows less, not more. ;)

I really get so sick of people not only defending ignorance, but in the last statement trying to elevate ignorance above knowledge.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    jamro217, FRoss6788, andruca and 23 others like this.
  11. Davey28

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    Mattering in the sense that Eddie kinda changed the world of guitar playing.

12. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    She has much more rock in her than other pop darlings of late. Look forward to hearing something from her 2nd or 3rd release.
    *saw Van Halen. The only VH that really gets a spin on my turntable anymore is Fair Warning

13. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    This bears repeating. It’s a disease these days in everything from music to politics.

jamro217, FRoss6788, andruca and 5 others like this.
  14. Davey28

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    Yep, that could be the reason, too! I just remember music pre-Eddie, and post-Eddie. Everyone I knew was talking about him, as well as trying to figure out what he was doing.

diegom likes this.
  15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

I honestly believe we are in the death throes of the way music was once made. As a once full-time musician, I feel like I understand to some degree how the big band musicians must have felt during the late 50's and 60's when things were changing rapidly and new ways of doing music were edging them out of relevancy. And I don't think that's a horrible thing, though it certainly changes the way I spend my time as a musician and it has definitely changed my expectations. I didn't expect it, and I guess my parents' generation didn't expect their music to almost completely disappear in favor of something that was very different.

I didn't really know much about the big band leaders and musicians of their day, so I'm not sure why I would expect a teenager now to know much about the bands I grew up with. Time marches on.

16. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    Interesting thought! I guess I could see it change when I see the memes of a single guy with a laptop onstage at a sold out festival. I think well played music of any genre will always be appreciated if the players are sincere enough in their presentation. Strange to think there might be very few with the skill to create and play on a piano, strings or a horn in the future. Thankfully I’ll be wormfood by then.

17. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    It's hardly her fault she's not heard of Van Halen at her age.
    I'll happily admit to knowing almost nothing about them,and caring less, and I'm 54!
    If they happen to have been a big part of your life or musical education, then that's great, but it's no reason to be hating on her.
    That's not cool, and we're bassplayers so by definition we're supposed to be the cool ones.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's people not knowing about Jethro Tull that's the real travesty.

timplog, Doug4321, jamro217 and 36 others like this.
  19. Biffa

Biffa Banned

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    Billie who?

FRoss6788, andruca, TinIndian and 5 others like this.
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You know what's sad ? If you ask musicians on this board, myself included to talk about young musicians, most bands we'll quote have been at it for 10+ years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.