Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bills New 9 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bonzai, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Bonzai

Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Does anyone know if Bill Dickens had a second 9 string built after selling his original one? If so, would you happen to know the specs on it?

This question is probably more for JT but there are probably others that could answer it as well. How heavy was the bass? Did the weight effect the playability? Its a Conklin so I would imagine it played like buttah.

JT, how did it compare to your 8 string basses? Did they play similar or no? I've read that your 8 string fretless weighs 16 pounds, did Bills weigh much more then that?

Sorry for all the questions but that bass has always interested me since the first time I seen it on his instructional video. Thanks in advance for any answers :)

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    To answer your questions.the bass was more than heavy,I played it on many occasions,to me it was very very heavy a true backbreaker.the Bass played like butter.the weight was starting to take it's toll on Bill.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Bill is using his Sig Conklin Groovetools 7 string(an all white one,and a purpleish one) and a groovetools 5.the way Bill has them set up,is effortless to play.