1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Billy Bass Nelson's Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rhastapopolus, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Rhastapopolus

Rhastapopolus

Jan 12, 2012
    Hi guys,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so I thought that I would try the most popular forum first :)

I'm a huge fan of P-Funk's album Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome and have been listening to the track Placebo Syndrome for a while now and been wondering -- how the heck does Billy get that tone? I've been trying to research and can't quite find anything in his posted equipment that corresponds with the sound I'm hearing...it's a tight sort-of compression sound, less round then usual. It sounds a little too light for fuzz. Hmmm clearly my powers of articulation are limited at this hour. But I would love it if you guys could help me identify this sound so I could snag it!

Thanks in advance. Here's the link to the track:

funkentelechy vs the placebo syndrome - YouTube

2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I know what you mean. Even on the song we want the funk there is some mysterious stuff going on. It's simple enough to get the notes he's playing but there is some electronic magic happening somewhere and it ain't just his hands.

3. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Yo! wiki says its Cordell Mosson playing bass on that album (billy bass is on some backing vocals). Cordell's known to have played a Rickenbacker strung with flats, so if wiki doesnt lie, it's very likely that its the sound you're looking for. For Billy Bass' tone, check the 3 first funkadelic album, and the Temptations' single "Shakey Grounds", wich has got an amazing bassline. Billy used to play with a P-Bass, and sometimes an 8 string Hagstrom.
    hope that helps, that's everything I know

4. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    I'm a great fan of early Funkadelic - but there seems to be very liitle info about those days. I suspect they can't remember a great deal of it themselves.

I know he is on youtube miming with the Hagstrom eight string - no idea whether he recorded with it, or used it live.

But I would like to know more!

5. Try and track down the July '05 issue of Bass Player, or their funk special released a couple of years ago. There's a special feature on all of the main P-Funk bassists.

According to the article he used the Hagstrom on: "I got a thing..." and "Free your mind...". He also mentions how it produces an almost synth like tone when played with a pick.

Mason Nagy likes this.
  6. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    Ahh cool, thanks for that i'll look out for those! Very interesting to know