Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Cobham's "Focused" anyone else heard this?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got this album last year and really like the opening track - very funky, but was somewhat dispppointed with the rest of the album. The track is called "Mirage" and has a great bass line and solo from Stefan Rademacher - I really like the way he plays on this particular track. Anyone heard anything else like this - I haven't heard much of BC's stuff since "Spectrum"?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I haven't heard that one, Bruce; the most RECENT release I picked up by Billy C was PICTURE THIS(...I think). I wasn't real impressed with that one.
    In the past couple months, I have picked up the long-awaited re-issues of CROSSWINDS, TOTAL ECLIPSE, & INNER CONFLICTS. I had already picked up A FUNKY THIDE OF SINGS. That leaves SHABAZZ and LIFE AND TIMES from that era.
    For my $$, I'd rate them as follows-
    1)CROSSWINDS
    2)TOTAL ECLIPSE
    3)SPECTRUM
    4)??? the rest ???

Do you have the Cobham/Duke Band's(w/ Scofield & Alphonso Johnson)LIVE IN EUROPE?

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    My favorite Cobham release is "Warning". There are some cool funky bass lines on that one. "Picture This" was OK. Not the greatest though.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the curent band are pretty good - they toured the UK recently. Randy Brecker, Gary Husband and I like Stefan Rademacher's bass style on some tracks - don't know anything else about him though - any ideas?

5. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Sorry Bruce, I haven't listened to any of his newer stuff.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    KungFu-
    I picked that Coleman book up about 3 months ago...half the book is devoted to record reviews; how 'bout Coleman & band playing with Yoko Ono on a Plastic Ono Band album? How 'bout Coleman using his then 10-year old son(Dennardo)on one of his early Blue Note releases(& man, did the critics have a field day with that one).
    Because of those reviews, I did manage to go out & find LOVE CALL(the "companion" recording to NEW YORK IS NOW...a record that I like).

Back to Cobham-
    Anybody have the Dreams' records/cds?
    This was a pre-Breckers Brothers Band group; Cobham + the Breckers + Chuck Rainey on bass.