Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Gould of Faith No More

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mikeus, Nov 22, 2002.

1. does anyone wish to trade info and messages about
    this very underated bassist, I am lookikng to hear from ppl who can play most fnm songs and really know them in depth

Mikeus

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've never attempted to learn many FNM songs, but I will say that Gould is a phenominal rock bassist. On some of the songs on The Real Thing, Gould has more personality and voice in the bass tones than any other player I know.

3. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    billy gould is great, he plays w/ taste and artistry but can still lay it down heavy. i used to know falling to pieces as a youth, but its been a while. lately, my band has started covering kindergarten off of angel dust (their best, IMO). great tune.

4. wicked!, falling to pieces is my fave track to play
    when I was a beginner it was billy who made me want to pick up the bass after hearing that song
    I started to play it the way I thought it sounded
    then as I listened to it more I could hear all the little
    variations, stops and grooves in it, kindergarten is an awesome song to play with that bass solo in it,
    his bass has distictively different sound on angel dust, where as on the 3 before it his bass sound is really harsh and metalic, I read that on Adust he used 32 tracks for bass alone

Mikeus

5. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    he is the MAN. only guy I know that can make pouding open strings into brilliant basslines. I know about half of the easier FNM stuff - but I`m working on learning everything:)

Too sad that now he`s into that producer thing...

6. absolutely!
    I too have developed a love of pounding open strings, what songs have you learnt by FNM?
    so far Ive learnt:

we care alot
    falling to pieces
    midlife crisis
    kindergarten (still perfecting)
    rv
    everythings ruined (still perfecting)
    a small victory (still perfecting)
    diggin the grave

theres probably others too that I know but have forgotten to put em down.

a good way Ive developed to learn their songs is
    by playing the cd from my pc and running it into
    my peavy MK4, I can hear the bass and kick drum really well using this method and as you may be able to hear on the albums, Goulds notes are often
    glued to the kick drum.

Mike

7. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i`m learning the slower ones like just a man, stripseach, evidence, easy etc. they`re slow yet considerably more difficult due to the subtle detail and incredible groove.

btw - get yourself a portishead`s "glory box" cover. there`s a live fnm recording on kazza etc. :D :D

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    From Out of Nowhere is the only FNM song I've really learned. We used to play it in the band, I miss not playing that song, but we're doing original material now. Still gets dusted off every once in a while at home though

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have played Epic, Falling to Pieces, We Care A Lot, and Ashes to Ashes in the past.

10. is that you playing a headless bass in that photo?
    is that a kubuki factor bass?
    thats cool

11. everythings ruined on angel dust is my favorite. i am trying to learn it now. dose any one know what billy is up to now?

12. I have learnt the basic structure of that song,
    the intro, chorus, bridge and pre chorus are
    quite easy after a few listens but the verses
    take a few listens to get 100% for me
    I can play the slapping and it ppl tell me it sounds the same when I play it to them, but billy is playing alot of fast muting which I havent totally figured out luckily there are alot of excellent tabs on the
    BTA which are fairly accurate.
    Bill gould has his own record label called
    Kool Arrow Records and he is a producer for various
    spanish and russian bands.
    I also heard that he is starting a band called
    castro sinatra

Mike