Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Gould

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassboy_jordan, Jan 14, 2002.

1. What is everybody's opinion of Billy Gould of Faith No More. He isn't often talked about and I'm wondering what the general thoughts are on him.
    Personally, i think he's a great, solid bassist.

2. I always thought he was pretty solid too. I wonder what happend to him after FNM.

3. Ditto! I really enjoyed his lines with FNM, but I really got a kick out of his tone. I wore their breakout album (title escapes me) out when I was first getting into the bass.

That was a pretty cool band - Mike Patton's freakish talent without the bad-acid-trip feeling of Mr. Bungle, the drummer was solid, the keyboardist ... um ... don't remember much about him, and the guitarist was pretty cool.

4. The "Breakout" album is "The Real Thing", although IMO "King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime" is their best album ever. Roddy was their keyboardist and is currently the guitarist for "Imperial Teen".

5. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I love Billy's lines on FNM's "Falling to Pieces." He gets such a funky sound using a pick!!

Jim Martin was their guitarist, not sure what he's up to now. Mike Bordin was their drummer, he played for Korn for awhile and now he's playing for Ozzy!

6. Actually, I don't think he used a pick on that one at all. Billy probably used pick only 5% of the time with FNM.
    Yeah, Bordin played with Korn and now with Ozzy. Funny, Korn never gave FNM credit for being a big influence to them. Oh well, no big loss.
    However, Bordin's choice to play with Ozzy more often than FNM was the main reason for the band's demise. :(

Anyone check out Tomahawk yet? Best thing IMO that Mike Patton has done since FNM broke up.

7. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Not quite...he used the pick a lot, especially on the King for a Day album. He surprised me by playing a fretless bass extremely well on that album.
    In my opinion, the best thing Patton has done since FNM isn't Tomahawk (which is good, of course!) but the latest Mr. Bungle album.
    That one's fine!

8. I disagree. On KFADFFAL, he used pick on maybe three songs. I saw them three times before their disbanding and Billy rarely used the pick at all. Sometimes the percussive attack of his tone can be easily mistaken for a pick, especially after he dropped the Corts and Gibsons and started using Zons.

I do think that "California" is Bungle's best work, but I still think that Tomahawk blows it and Fantomas away. Duane Dennison's Guitar work is amazing, he's the only guitarist that I have ever truely liked.

9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Perhaps, but I can really hear it in the last song of the album, on What a Day as well, on the faster songs. Digging the Grave has unusual tone for fingerstyle as well.
    But it's not really worth an argument, he has a nice tone regardless of the technique he used.

Such a big distinction sounds awkward to me...I do admit that the guitars sounded nice to me on the Tomahawk album, but I wasn't tempted to say that it placed him miles above any guitarist on the planet...but such opinions are interesting.
    To me, I really liked the solos of some of the albums from Paradise Lost, Trey Spruance's work on the KFAetc album, Mahavishnu's guitarist on Birds of Fire (afraid I would misspel his name), and the guitarist from Anathema, who really formed my bassplaying in some kind of way.
    And for cool guitar players, David Bowie can really pick those out.

10. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I just assumed he was a pick player because all the pictures I've seen of him, show him using a pick!

What do you think of Mike Patton's other project Fantomas. The stuff he does is so weird to me that it makes some of Les Claypool's stuff sound positively normal!;)

I like Patton though, he was here performing the other night, but I had to work!

11. Actually, 5% of the time is a gross exageration, sorry! Billy probably uses pick 25% of the time or so. Digging The Grave is one of the songs where he DOES use pick.

Here's a few of Billy normally:
    http://www.fnm.com/promo/940330RWBilly1.jpg
    http://www.fnm.com/promo/9503MHDBilly2.gif
    http://www.fnm.com/promo/921128KEBiRoMi.jpg
    http://www.fnm.com/promo/950315RWBilly.jpg
    http://www.fnm.com/promo/940528KEBilly.jpg

Fantomas is only about as weird as Mr. Bungle's "Disco Volante" album. You should also hear Patton's "Adult Theme For Voice" and other things that he did with the legendary John Zorn.

Sorry you missed a Patton show, Lazy! I've met Patton a few times and it is always a pleasure talking with him.

You guys should check out Mike Patton's record label; www.ipecac.com
    Very good stuff including Fantomas, Tomahawk and the Melvins!

~Ad

12. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Those are some great shots of Billy!

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Billy Gould's one of my main influences when it comes to tight, funkish rock grooves, and he's probably the only rock-funk bassist whose tone I've liked on every single song I heard him play on -- well, perhaps except "I started a joke". ;)

I mean, come on, his tone's definitely more tasteful than Flea's. Even on some songs on BSSM Flea sounds too obtrusive and midrangy. Not to mention his dreadful tone on Californication, which, in tandem with Chad's new, embarrasingly thin drum sound, ruined the whole album for me.
    He does sound better on By the Way, but I digress.

I particularly like Mr Gould's tight, gutsy tone on "Midlife Crisis" and "Evidence". Nobody else sounds this cool pounding staccato 8th notes.
    Also, I sort of admire the fact that he kept away from "standard" basses during his time in the limelight.

Except for the video for Evidence, of course -- but he isn't really playing a Fender Jazz on that song, or is he? Judging from his tone on "Evidence", I'd say it's very unlikely, but I might be wrong.
    By the way, does anyone happen to know when he started using Zon basses, and what brand he used before that?

14. WHAT !!!!

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I love patton musically, but I wouldn't talk to the bastard. He broke up FNM and I hear he broke up Mr. Bungle. He's a egotistical bunghole.

16. To the best of my knowledge, he was using some Aria Pro II bass for the longest time. I think it was a similar model to the one that Cliff Burton was seen using on the Master of Puppets tour. If you can find any of their videos from The Real Thing, you should be able to see it there.

For my two cents, I think Billy Gould is one of the most underrated bassists in any sort of metal band. He had a huge influence on me and alot of people I know. Phenomenal tone, excellent note choices, how could you not like his playing?

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

yeah, he played an aria bass in the epic video. when i saw him live (with metallica and guns 'n roses--the black album tour), he played a zon and the aria through peavey 8x10's....and some other bass. i've always loved billy's tone, on any album. and mike patton is awesome. i didn't know that mike bordin was playing with ozzie. heck, bordin and robert trujillo? is ozzy trying to start some sort of funk metal band?