Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Idol's bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jan 27, 2002.

1. (don't laugh:))
    thinking how reminiscent Jimmy Eat World's "The Middle" song is of Billy Idol/Generation X, I had a listen to the 11 of the best compilation again- hey - I got it on cassette for £1 from a charity shop;)

there's some pretty good bassplaying and bass tones on there- Sal Cuevas's unusual phrasing on "Eyes without a face", Phil Feit's intro line and grinding tone on "White wedding",
    no less than Marcus Miller adding interesting touches to a root-fifth line on "Sweet sixteen".

2. I don't know if Flesh for Fantasy in on that tape but that has some great bass playing.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ya know, its funny cause I did laugh. Sorry I cant be of any help.

4. Did you said Sal Cuevas?
    Sal Cuevas the electric bass monster for Fania All Stars. The song is in latin feel?

5. "Flesh for fantasy" is on the tape- guitarist Steve Stevens is credited with bass on that.
    interesting slap break in the middle.

re. Sal Cuevas, I'm not sure if the song he plays on ("eyes without a face") has any Latin influence.
    Cuevas plays a 16th note fingerstyle line (at a slow tempo) for the verse, sliding up and down to each note, which ends abruptly at unusual points.
    for the chorus he plays chord arpeggio notes as fills over the root.
    for the bridge there's a slap part.

and stop laughing at the back, old_skool!

6. Sal Cuevas is best know as the most inovator electric bass player in salsa and in latin jazz. He start hes carrer in the 70's. If Sal is playing in Billy album, I need to listen.

Thanks