Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy sheehan - a tower in the sky

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chili, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    hey all, i am new to billy sheehan and sjust started to listen to some of his stuff, and i love tower in the sky, but is that all bass? i no theres other stuff doin effects n stuff but theres some bits that sound like it could be guitar but known billy its probs bass

2. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    Probably not. billy play's both Baritone and Electric guitar as well as bass guitar of course. You'll see at his website the collection of guitar's he uses. Having said that, it could be all bass. You just never know with him. He has a reputation of constructing HUGE live and recording bass rigs. In the early 90's, he used up to 6 tracks during mixing. Also, he uses stereo output on his bass, allowing unlimited combinations of bass sounds, ranging from phat funky bass tone to over-the-top guitar distortion and harmonics, all mixed together to produce a very intimadating and frightening bass sound.

People try to emulate his techniques and ideas, and often fail.