1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Billy Sheehan: Advanced Bass, any experience with this book?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The Metal Guy, Aug 18, 2007.

1. The Metal Guy

The Metal Guy

Nov 5, 2005
    It looks quite good but I read the sole review they had on Amazon and it is apparently REALLY bad. Does anybody here have any experience with it?

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead

Dec 28, 2006
    I don't know about the book but from an interview I saw of him he seems like the kind of guy that you could learn very well from by observing him (and getting him to play it slow of course), but he couldn't explain it very well in words at all.

Or maybe my memory is just muddy ...

But yeah check Youtube for video interviews, it might help get an idea what the book might be like.

3. i have it it isnt really advanced but it aight.

4. I have it, and while I abhor Billy's tone, his inventiveness is really just neverending. He makes a good teacher and has great ideas for exercises and different sounds- but he's also very quick to establish that most bass playing doesn't necessitate all the flashy stuff he does, so pick and choose what to incorporate into your style carefully. I feel I spent my money well on it.

5. Dharmabum

Dharmabum

Jul 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Is this the DVD/book combo? If so, avoid it. Not a lot of great material and I really thought that nothing in it would be new to an "advanced" player.

6. kipsus

kipsus Physicist

Sep 18, 2005
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    +1

Great stuff. I keep watching those videos again and again, and every time I see something new. Don't forget that Billy is very talented, very innovative and is a very experienced bass player in general.