Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Sheehan Attitude bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Aug 6, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Does anyone have or have played this bass? I think the pickup layout is quite interesting, the neck humbucker and p pup. I notice there are two outs. Is there one out for each pup? And what the deal with those scalloped frets? What is the point of those? Any other opinions on these?

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I tried two of the Billy Sheehan Attitude basses a few years ago. They were brand new and were being sold at a local music store's annual blowout sale for $500 each. They were well made but they were the heaviest basses I've ever played-heavier than a 70's P-Bass, heavier than a wide-necked 6-string. Most of the other Yamahas I've played over the years have been pretty light, so I'm not sure whether this was part of Billy's design specifications, or just a result of the wood choice for these two particular basses.

They had great tone with phenomenal growl and the big neck pickup could best be described as a subwoofer-you could move some serious air with that thing. I think you could switch it so that both pickups came out of one jack but the best setup would be to have a stereo rig with separate paths for each pickup, just like Billy.

The attitudes were both very playable-I love big maple Precision-style necks. I think the scalloped frets help for stringbending and to keep from hitting the wood when tapping. I was really impressed by the basses, and they were a steal at that price--but I've had shoulder problems from the portly planks I've plucked in the past, so I passed.