Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Sheehan Finger Exercises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassduder, Jun 12, 2002.

1. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    I was reading through some John Myung stuff and on some site, he talked about how he learned his three finger technique from Billy Sheehan finger exercises?

Does anyone know what these exercises are? If so, could someone post them or tell me about them...Also if you have any other exercises to improve my right hand tech, mention them :D

Edit: If you are going to put in your own exercises, is there any ones you know of that work well with string skipping and 16th and 32nd note rhythms?

2. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    ...if anyone has the John Myung "Progressive Bass Concepts" video, would they be willing to share with me some of the lessons or examples he gives for the right hand technique.

Is anyone going to reply?

3. aglar bass

aglar bass

Sep 29, 2005
    Hei look there are two ways that i find more convenient to play with three fingers:

-first the billy sheehan way: going from ring, middle, index that way and puting the accent in one finger each time for example

g ---------------------- 1 2 3 4 -------
    d -------------- 1 2 3 4 r m i r -------
    a -------1 2 3 4- i r m i----------------
    e-1 2 3 4-m i r m----------------------
    -- r m i r

got it, just going one way, you accent in one finger at a time

- second myung way and many others (including me) R, M, I, M

g------------------------1 2 3 4
    d-----------------1 2 3 4-r m i m
    a---------1 2 3 4-r m i m
    e-1 2 3 4 -r m i m
    ---r m i m

this way is easier to keep the rithm and tempo in 8 and 16 notes
    going tath way always, is important to keep the same fingering whatever you choose. try both and decide, also the chromatic exercises are very good for developing any kind of technique (almost), be creative with the exercices go for example 1234, 1324, 1423, and different combinations and always use metronome

well hope this is usefull for you, see ya
    keep rocking

4. Tell me if i'm mistaken but in your second way there's no actual benefit in speed since it's always an alternation between the middle finger and an other finger beside it... you can't go faster than playing with two fingers exept your index will take more time to get tired...

To get a real benefit in speed you need to always go in a pattern of 3 fingers 123 or 321 depending on your preference that way the each finger has two strokes to get back into position instead of one... it takes practice but it's worth it...

I personnaly use 123 alternation billy sheenan uses 321 and most other people too. you get a serious gain in speed once you master this... you can play as fast or faster even than any picking death metal guitarist...

5. aglar bass

aglar bass

Sep 29, 2005
    You have a point there, billy sheehan explains that in his video but theres also a speed gaining the other way since you have less time within each hit of your fingers, but as everything i has it`s disadvantages and you pointed one of them thas good so this guy will have another thing to take care when he decides which way he is going to play, thank you, see ya
    keep rocking
    you know actually i think i will switch again to that fingering i think. i was just thinking of the disadvantages of that and is just the hard work it implies to, you helped me too you see, bye

6. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i don't have a three finger technique yet, but it seems to me that the rmi rmi technique has an advantage in that once you've got it down there is no need to worry about whether you are playing triplets, crossing strings, or whatever. so i think i'm going to go with that. it may take more effort to learn, but i'm pretty sure it will pay for itself by eliminating potential problems down the road. damnedest thing about techniques, the harder they are to learn, the better they are to know.

7. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    um, what is your pinky supposed to be doing when i do this?
    cuz mine is sort of just flappin oaround uselessly . . .

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Why not use it? P,R,M,I,M,R,P,M,I,M,P. Try that, it works for me, makes you think.

9. Corbow

Corbow

Mar 15, 2005
    sure, pinky is a part of your body, why not use it? its long distance run, but when you get comfortably with it, you can crank really great speed

10. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004