Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy SHeehan Fired!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Boplicity, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Yeehaw.org sends me bi-weekly news about Billy Sheehan's doings. Today I received an e-mail stating that Sheehan has been fired from Mr.Big! No other information or details about the circumstances surrounduing this event were given. If anybody knows more please tell me.

My initial guess for the reason is that Sheehan's many side projects are keeping him from devoting enough time to Mr.Big.

Also, I have no idea who will replace him, as he is nearly irreplaceable and his image is so much a part of the band.

2. I would be truly surprised if that is true. Like you said, he is pretty much irreplaceable in that band.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just checked Billy's web site and Mr. Big's official web site. Neither one mentions the firing or says that Billy has left the band, voluntarily or otherwise.

Billy has a discussion forum and there is some small discussion by puzzled posters, but no confirmation that this news is true. One asks how can he be fired from a band he founded? Well, that happens.

I'm going to keep checking to see if any more news appears anywhere about this topic. Here are the web sites:

http://www.mrbigsite.com/news.html

http://www.billysheehan.com

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Brian Marshall founded Creed ya know. I guess they decided they needed to suck even more than they already did so they fired him. Swearing too much, was it? :rolleyes:

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yep! Ask Dickie Betts...

6. No offense to those other guys but trying to replace Sheehan in that band is sorta like trying to replace Geddy Lee in Rush.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    they asked me to do it, but i had to decline the offer :D:rolleyes:

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    oh, i have something in common with billy! i was fired by a band a couple of weeks ago...now i can say that i'm the guy that was fired with billy sheehan!! sounds good!:D

9. :confused:
    Paul Gilbert already left to rejoin Racer X, so that leaves just the singer and drummer as original Mr Big members...
    looks like Mr Big is no more then....

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Thank god. It's time Billy moved onto better things than keeping 80s hair metal on life support.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Sure does.Ross Valory got booted out of Journey.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Neil Schon & Gregg Rollie, both ex-Santana bandmates, started Journey back in the '70s.
    I don't think Ross Valory was the original bassist(Aynsley Dunbar was the original drummer & Rollie/Schon did the vocals). At that time, Journey was NOT the Pop band they were destined to become(once Steve Perry entered the picture).

As far as Sheehan goes-
    ...man, I thought Mr. Big was history anyway.
    Sheehan needs to stick it out with Niacin, anyway(IMO). Think about it...if you're wanting to get 'better' & are serious about it-
    Don't ya stick with Dennis Chambers?! ;)

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why'd Vallory get booted?

Anyone know where Ritchie Kotzen (Paul Gilbert replacement) came from? Both the name and the face are REALLY familiar...

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Kotzen was in Poison.
    I know that 'cause Kotzen recently played in Vertu, the Jazz Fusion band with Stanley Clarke & Lenny White.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep, and Ritchie was kicked out of Poison for sleeping with Bobby Dall's wife. Pretty classy, huh?

Saw it on VH-1s Behind The Music....I can't believe I just admitted to watching Poison's Behind the Music....

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Kotzen is one of those Mike Varney (Shrapnel Records) shredders.
    There's some solo records around, one with Stu Hamm and Steve Smith. 80s shred.

17. Firing Billy Sheehan??? Isn't that sort of be like firing Gene Simmons?

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree:D He could do more with Niacin

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I liked the Sheehan/Gilbert team... but I didn't like the direction they were heading. I am sure that is why Gilbert left and maybe that is related to this news on Sheehan too.

Here's a comparison... David Lee Roth's first solo album and second. It's not hard to see why Billy Sheehan bailed.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...isn't Journey touring with a new lead vocalist?
    Didn't they give Perry das boot?

BassMonk-
    Good one!
    (I missed that particular VH-1 episode). ;)