Billy Sheehan is God

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by KillMary, Jul 20, 2001.

1. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    ...and so is Steve Vai. Oh no, I'm going to hell!!

I saw G3 in Atlanta last night. Billy Sheehan got the biggest applause of anyone, he kicked serious booty. Doubling fast (I mean FAST) runs with Steve, trading off solos or laying down the grooves, I don't think there's ever been a rock bassist like Billy.

Interesting note: Stu Hamm was booed off the stage twice (after Satriani, and after the jam). I agree that he sucked compared to Billy and even Dave, but I thought all these musicians that went there should have a little more respect for someone that's paying his dues and doing what he loves. I'm sure every bass player in the house thought he should be up there instead, but still.
  2. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    Were they saying BOO!!! or STU!!!?
    I couldn't tell.
    Dave Larue kicked ass.
  3. Duke of Prunes

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    Was he actually booed off the stage, like he had to physically leave the stage to make them stop, or was he just booed?
    I feel bad for the guy.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    They actually booed Stu Hamm? I find that hard to believe. IF so, I'm glad I didn't waste my money to be the audience with so many morons.
  5. Duke of Prunes

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    I think they do it at just about every show. They did it in Boston and they do it on the live DVD, too. Damn guitarists. No respect...
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They booed Stu off the stage?! As if they could do better. I'd like to see them get through Raspberry Jam Delta-V without losing the one.

This isn't one of those semi-ironic "Primus sucks!" kind of things, is it? Poor guy.
  7. They're probably just yelling "Stu." I read a discussion like this elsewhere mentioning that people at G3 shows yell "Stu" and some people mistake it for booing.
  8. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Maybe they're crying out for stew?

9. Or maybe they were crying out for some brew? :)
  10. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Booing someone off stage is really low. Especially someone like Stu. I'm also glad I wasn't anywhere near people who would do that.
  11. I saw that show in Houston and I saw the same thing. People were booing Stu at the end of the jam. Why's that? That is just plain disrespectful.

I never got to see those guys when I was a teenager and now I can say that I got to see them all at once. What a moronic audience though. They're only concerned with speedpicking "Guitar Hero" kind of stuff. Oh well. :rolleyes: No offense to anyone, but I'm glad I'm not really a part of that whole scene.
  12. To add to the G3 saga, when they played in Boston a couple of years ago Robert Fripp was the opening show. I was the only one who noticed.
  13. To quote John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, "That's a damn shame!"
  14. hell if they want to bo thats thier right they paid for thier tickets. you know that can happen when you get on stage.
  15. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    but why would they boo him in the first place ??? stu rocks ! surely not every person in the audience is Vai-wannabe ? :( reckon everyone from talkbass should rock up to one of these shows and start a riot, bay-bee :D
  16. OK, let's straighten this one out.. Stu Hamm did not get booed off the stage at any G3 shows. I talked to a friend of mine who was at the Atlanta show, and another friend who saw it two nights later in Fort Lauderdale, and both said the crowd was yelling "Stu", not booing.
  17. I stand corrected. And that makes me feel better. I guess that happens when your name rhymes with "boo".;)
  18. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    I talked to other people that have attended G3 shows and they told me the same thing. The crowd's just saying "Stu", not boo.
    It sounded disturbingly like boo though :)
  19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think they're saying "stuart as a little boo-boo on his hoo-hoo" but all that's coming out is the "ooo" sound.

i could be wrong, though.
  20. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    Anyway, back to topic :)
    Billy Sheehan is God!!!!!