1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Billy Sheehan Line 6 Helix

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Jul 31, 2017.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have never liked line 6 for bass. Ever. But, I've been watching live clips of the tala s show that just happened where billy uses the helix on its own for all of his signal chain and, it sounds more like him than he has in years. His current pedal board isn't as great as his older setups. You can tell that even he isn't totally happy with it because he is always changing or adding componants, trying to get what he is used to with the pearce rack and other amps, cabs, etc. He really sounded great with the helix. It may feel like Crap under the fingers for all I know but, the tone is pretty spot on.

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Mr. Sheehan(and/or someone working with him) has been doing a LOT of tweaking with good results.

And another push towards retiring my HD500X in favor of a Helix, end of this month probably.
    Guitarist uses a Helix, it does some amazing things, and sounds WAY better than he did on the HD500X.

PS: They don't feel like crap IF you spend time setting them up properly. The HD500X used for bass here works quite well and allows one to be ampless(IEM's) with no open mic on stage for the sound crews.....they love it.

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    You hear so many conflicting reviews, as was the case with previous line6 products. It's a lot of dough to find out. All the routing options is really the big seller but, it doesn't mean anything if the tone and feel isn't there.

4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    This popped up on my Facebook feed last night:

son_of_mogh and mysteryclock like this.
  5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Does anyone know if you can use either of the two exp inputs with a simple footswitch to toggle an effect block on/off? At live gigs I never have anything on the floor but a single footswitch to turn distortion on/off. In the talas video, I see that billy did it with his hand. I actually use it in songs, not solos.

6. 3dognate

3dognate

Feb 8, 2017
    I love using my helix for live bass duties it sounds amazing. You can't toggle on/off with the expression. BUT you can use it to turn the mix parameter or level parameter up and down which can get you pretty well the same thing (you'd be toggling 0 and 127 effectively... but I'd not sweat it and just put the helix right there on the floor. I typically use only one bass preset but have several snap shots setup... normal clean/fuzz/+ Octave up (for 8string emulation a-la "Jeremy")/half step up pitch effect for when my guitarist capos up I can play in the original position./ Whole step down pitch for D-tuning it's so flexible... I'd not want to not have access to a few good options. ( I run direct to PA... no amps on stage too BTW so pulling an XLR feed off the Helix on the front line is easy.) I can hit the mode switch and have access to the effects a-la Carte too.

7. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Just got the rack, big floor board and volume pedal yesterday. The rack version let's you use a simple footswitch to toggle as many things on and off as you want. I got a great deal on the bundle and plan to sell the floorboard and controller. I'll never use them and haven't even opened them yet.

8. 3dognate

3dognate

Feb 8, 2017
    Awesome.. you're gonna love it. I'm also a guitarist and am loving the Helix for guitar. I've been using it for a good year now and it still makes me smile every gig and sounds great in my in ear monitors too.

9. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I found that a little eq and compression after a speaker sim makes the sound a lot better, more like my two notes.

10. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    FYI, accidental find at lunch. American Musical has a special until the end of September that basically includes a free Helix backpack bag.
    Line 6 Helix Floorboard Dual DSP Audio Engine Guitar Processor
    I bought and use a Helix backpack to carry my HD500x+cords+wireless+ZoomH4+SansAmpProgrammable BD(3sounds programmable).

Because of FlexPay and the free $150 backpack, a Helix got ordered today. My HD500X will stay loaded with my presets and our guitarist will dump his old HD500X list in it so it can be carried as a backup.

3dognate likes this.
  11. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Using the pearce ch2 sim, I could use the built in limiter and be just fine but, I am so used to my old boss lmb3, that I plug my bass into that and then, into the helix. I definitely prefer the lmb3 into the front instead of using an fx loop. The loop changes the sound and feel a bit.

son_of_mogh and Johnny Crab like this.
  12. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Guitarist sent this to me showing the "latest" updates as mine came with V 1.6.something.
    Looks like they added much-wanted stuff. Now, to clone the Geddy SansAmp......

L6 Helix LatestUpdates.

son_of_mogh likes this.