Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Sheehan project bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay, my old band Format Brain has reformed and I'm back in the four string seat again. And have bought two P-basses for live use.

One of them is a hybrid which started life as a sunburst Squier affinity P bass, which I bough rediciously cheap (only 40 Euro, around 50 US Dollar) because had a really badly warped neck. I got this one home and started fooling around with it. I took out my old Plush covered bass, took off the neck (which has a reshaped headstock made to look like a Rickenbacker's) and put it on the squier body. I then came to the idea of fitting a Gibson Grabber pickup at the neck end and to replace the stock pickup with a Dimarzio model P.

Well that Dimarzio sure sounds powerfull but the Gibson pickup is DIW. I can't get any sound from it. So I'm now thinking of putting in a working OLP Musicman Humbucker. The trouble here is that pickup has a very toppy sound and I'm not really sure how it will work at the exact opposite end of where it was designed to be.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much but I have to get some feedback before I do something that could ruin my bass.

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    get a Gibson EB-0 or Dimarzio Will Power pickup

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    IMO the dimarzios are great. lots of punch and growl, and they dont sound like sh*t like the gibson eb-0s. to much bass and not enough treble sounds to muddy.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I once owned a Charvel Model 3B which is basically a neck through P bass with PJs.

I routed out a spot near the neck for a DiMarzio Will Power Neck pickup and replaced the P with a DiMarzio Will Power Middle pup.

I was actually surprised at how much high end the neck pickup had. It still had that low end umph but the highs were not totally gone either.

The Will Power Middle is a great pickup too...it's my P pup of choice.

I've heard that a J pup works well up by the neck too. In fact, back when I was planning the installation of the Will Power Neck someone suggested that I use a J instead.

After that time, I saw a custom made Warmoth J on eBay that had a J in the middle and one at the neck. IIRC the owner sent me some sound clips of the various pickup positions. If you'd like to hear them, please send me an email.

5. a friend's band's bassist put a Seymour Duncan MM p/up in an Epiphone Rivoli, replacing the humbucker at the neck.
    odd, but it sounded like you'd expect a Rivoli to sound (dunno why he replaced the p/up though).

I think if the coils are wired in series you'll get the Sheehan "woofer pickup" tone.
    also the polepiece spacing might actually be better suited to a P bass than the Dimarzio/EB0 pickup (in one of Sheehan's vids he shows the strings being in line with the very edge of the Dimarzio woofer's polepieces)