Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy sheehan tapping harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jan 28, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    in a lot of Live videos ive seen billy do this thing where he taps the higher frets of his bass with his right hand and it get the smooth transition between loads of differant harmonics
    I think it sounds really cool,

an anyone enlightening me on how to do it properly? Ive tried on my MIM jazz and it dosent seem to work.

not sure if this classifies as an effect or a technique.

2. Tapped harmonics are very similar to artificial harmonics. You simply tap on octave higher than the note you are fretting.

---2(14)------4(16)---
    --------2(14)---------
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

Be sure to tap directly over the fret(on the metal part)

A good example is Stu Hamm's "Surely the Best"

3. visa

visa

Dec 17, 2005
    how does he make his harmonics scream so powerfully like a guitar's? there's a 6+ minute video of his solo in Mr Big floating around youtube and google video, watch it and tell me ._.

4. lots of gain

5. exactly

Steve Bailey uses that trick too,but with artificial harmonics, on some Bass Extremes songs.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    It's worth noting that Sheehan uses a separate amp for distortion and harmonics.

7. Per

Per

Feb 15, 2006
    sweden
    i think that he uses pinch harmonics

8. visa

visa

Dec 17, 2005
    so how do we do that on bass?

9. Per

Per

Feb 15, 2006
    sweden
    like on a guitar

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive kinda managed to do it, you have to thumb/or hit it with your palm just at the right speed and force without actually tapping the note. its kinda hard.

11. for pinches, touch the fleshy part of ur thumb on the string (there are many different places but i find just in between the neck pickup and the start of the neck best to let the harmonic ring) Pluck the string with the fingernail of ur index finger and litterally as the sound is made remove ur thumb.

A bit of practice, lots of gain and youll b screamin in no time!!