Billy Sheehan & the Stones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corinpills, Mar 17, 2006.

1. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I just got an e-mail from my very best friend growing up and he's leaving to go open 5 dates for the Stones in Japan and he's taking Billy Sheehan as his bass player. His name is Richie Kotzen and we grew up in this tiny little town in Pennsylvania- you can't even imagine how podunk the area is. We met when we were 13 and were so glad to find someone else who loved music that we latched onto each other for dear life. I used to ride my bike to his house every day after school and we'd try to play guitar together. After about 4 months, I remember, we worked up the nerve to invite his dad in to listen to us play a song- "Satisfaction" by the Stones. now that I think of it, we actually had the 3rd chord wrong (and there are only 3).

We started our very first band together, both playing guitar, and spent about 2 years looking for a bass player- we could never find a good one. One day I showed up at practice and there was a P bass and and Peavey TNT in the corner. I got all excited and said "fantastic, who's playing bass?" and everybody looked at me. His Dad had bought them and that's how I became a bass player.

When I look back at where we came from and realize that I make a living playing music and he's played all over the world with Poison, Mr. Big and as a solo artist, I can barely believe how lucky we both are. I'm so proud of him getting to play with the Stones. Life is amazing sometimes.
  2. Great story.

Wrong forum.
  3. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Oh crap, I meant to post this in bassists. Sorry.
  4. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Always good to hear of a success story!

6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You know Ritchie K? That's awesome! -- I really like his playing and LOVE his signature Tele...

Anyway, that's awesome... would love to see the two play sometime.
  7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Cool story. Nice to hear about people makin it.
  8. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you know if Franklin is playing drums? That guy is crazy good.