Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Sheehan & the Stones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by corinpills, Mar 17, 2006.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I just got an e-mail from my very best friend growing up and he's leaving to go open 5 dates for the Stones in Japan and he's taking Billy Sheehan as his bass player. His name is Richie Kotzen and we grew up in this tiny little town in Pennsylvania- you can't even imagine how podunk the area is. We met when we were 13 and were so glad to find someone else who loved music that we latched onto each other for dear life. I used to ride my bike to his house every day after school and we'd try to play guitar together. After about 4 months, I remember, we worked up the nerve to invite his dad in to listen to us play a song- "Satisfaction" by the Stones. now that I think of it, we actually had the 3rd chord wrong (and there are only 3).

We started our very first band together, both playing guitar, and spent about 2 years looking for a bass player- we could never find a good one. One day I showed up at practice and there was a P bass and and Peavey TNT in the corner. I got all excited and said "fantastic, who's playing bass?" and everybody looked at me. His Dad had bought them and that's how I became a bass player.

When I look back at where we came from and realize that I make a living playing music and he's played all over the world with Poison, Mr. Big and as a solo artist, I can barely believe how lucky we both are. I'm so proud of him getting to play with the Stones. Life is amazing sometimes.

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    do you know who the Drummer is on that gig?

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I can't remember. He told me the guy is a monster and used to play with Chick Corea, but I didn't recognize the name. not Dave Weckl or anything.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    A friend of mine(I don't want to say his name) called me last week and told me that he had been in the studio recording with Billy and Ritchie Kotzen(he plays drums in Kotzen's band)

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That must be him then. Not a bad gig, huh?

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  7. No sh**! You know Sheehan? That's cool. I always wonder about stuff like that. Like I went to high school with this guy named Doug, he was by far the best guitar player I've ever seen in person (and that includes concerts. He was on par with any big-name famous band I've ever seen live). I wonder if some day I'll be buying his CDs in Tower or something, saying "damn, I used to go to gym with this guy". Makes me wish I had stayed in touch with him.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Richie Kotzan is great! He's also a very underated singer!

9. Richie Kotzen is only 37? Damn! I figured he was at least 45.

Was he ever with KISS, or am I confusing him with Bruce Kulick?

10. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Naw, he's a year younger than me. He just got started really young (his first deal with Shrapnel while he was still in High School) and he just works really hard and does a lot of stuff. He had played over 500 gigs with our first band by the time he moved to California at 18.

I know this is a bassist thread, so I'll mention that Richie is also a great bass player (and he still has that old 70's P Bass that his Dad bought for me to play), but he really is an incredible musician that still gets unfairly perceived as just a shredding guitar player when he hasn't made an album like that in 10 years. He's much more of an artist like Prince- a guy who sings and writes and plays all the instruments and also happends to be a ripping guitarist.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Cool story.

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Yep, Richie is a great guitar player. I really didn´t know he was an "overall" musician as you mention. As you say, he´s mainly known for his chops, not his compositional skills. A true pity.

I think he replaced Paul Gilbert pretty well in Mr Big, and that´s a TOUGH job.

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Is Mr Big still kicking around?

14. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Well, actually, he is somewhat known for his vocal albums outside of the U.S.- he's had 5 or 6 gold albums in Japan, I think, and his first gig with Mr. Big was opening for Aerosmith in a stadium in Japan for, like, 30,000 people.

Mr. Big is no longer kicking around. I'm not really a fan of their music, but I think their Japanese fans will be happy to see Billy Sheehan playing with Richie on this short tour. From what I can tell, they were a very popular band in Japan and had many popular singles there long after their popularity waned in America. They seemed to play very large places whenever they went there.

15. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    What town? I thought Kotzen was from Reading.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I love his post-shred albums (his shred albums too, btw), really soundful and funky rock music.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'll ahve to check this Ritchie kotzen guy out, Stuart Hamm played on one of his albums!

18. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Stu played on his first album when Richie was 18 years old and it's a total shred fest- shrieking, screaming, raging guitar. I would imagine he'd want you to check out his more recent work which is much more song based (which would include almost everything he' s done over the last 14 years- a notable excpetion being the Vertu album he did with Stanley Clarke). That's kind of his cross to carry; he's a really talented all around musician, songwriter, arranger, multi-instrumentalist and producer, but he's mostly know for the 2 or 3 guitar albums he made 15 years ago as a teenager. And for getting kicked out of Poison for sleeping with the drummer's girlfriend (which I actually thought was his best career move and I was in his wedding to her, so it was more than a little fling).

19. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Near Reading, actually. He's from Birdsboro and I'm from Douglassville. You just go down Rt. 724 and take a right at the 16th cow.

20. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    haha. thanks for the info. saw him play with mr. big in hershey. i thought he handled paul gilbert's parts really well. he has a good voice too.