Billy Sheehan Yamaha BEX bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fesem, Aug 24, 2005.

1. fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hello All: I am looking to get a semi-hollow bass and have read about quite a few. I don't live close to any stores that have much of a selection so at the moment trying to narrow it down on the web. Does anyone play the Yamaha BEX-BS. It looks like a very interesting bass but I can find very little in the way of user comments, one review from a couple of years ago on HC is about it. Two years ago someone asked this same question here and no one responded. Somebody must have tried this bass out, please let us know. Two questions I would have are can you get anything resembling a Hofner tone as well as more modern tones and how wide is the neck relative to a jazz neck or precision neck. Thanks.
    Steve McCartney
  2. Hey, Steve- I just got a used Washburn AB-20 ABG. It's more fully acoustic, I believe, as opposed to semi-acoustic like the Yamaha. I just wanted to point his bass out to you, as they still make a similar model, & used ones are not too uncommon. There's one at Bassalone in San Diego. Neck dimensions are much like a Jazz, IMO. Tones are pretty much typical ABG, although I can get a pretty thumpy sound w/muting.
  3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    perhaps also look at the Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat bass....
  4. RustyBass

Jul 5, 2006
    Check out a Gibson Eb2 or an Epiphone rivoli bass which is pretty similar to that Yamaha but with a more acoustic tone, that Epiphone has a pretty cool warm tone:bassist:
  5. Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    I honestly haven't ever seen one of these basses in person so I can't help you out there, but I'd consider the Ibanez Semi Hollow Body basses. They are a real bargain and are similar in idea to the yamaha (f-holes and single humbucker).
    Hope this helps,
  6. Ancient thread revival: I got one of these recently and I'm loving it. It's got massive tone, even without plugging in.

I do have a question for anyone that might know: have you put on a Hipshot Bass Extender / D-tuner? If so, what model and did you need to put in new mounting holes to have enough space?

The folks at seem to think that would be needed.

7. Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Thoughts? The TB mantra is 'without pics, there can be no thoughts'.
  8. Pics of what? You're able to know from a pic of the back of a headstock if it will fit or not?
  9. Where's a good place to get a replacement tuning machine for a BEX-BS - STAT! ????