Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Sheehan

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chachee, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I think this man is amazing everything he does sounds good.

He can do everything Steve Vai could ever do on guitar but on bass, but better!

what you think?

[​IMG]

2. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    +1 on that sentiment...

I've seen him live, maybe 3 times. Twice in a very close, personal venue. Maybe 10-15' away and man did my chest hurt after that show.

He shreds...

3. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Why does that gentlemen only have 4 strings on his guitar?

4. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    He don't need no more!

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    can't stand his tone, but he IS talented!

6. his album "Cosmic Treubadour" is amazing. His singing isn't very appealing, but there are a lot of instrumentals.

Niacin is awesome too.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's stupid to say he can do what Steve Vai can do, he can't.

I've seen him live twice, both times with Steve Vai. Once on G3, the other time it was at a Steve Vai show. First time I was made 20 feet away, it rocked!

Second time, I was in the second row, just right on center stage, so I was screaming Billy's name for the whole show. He kept looking at me, giving the thumbs up, and at the end of the night, he even looked at me and gave me a little "hats off" gesture, which really made my night!

Yep, that has to be the best show I've ever seen. It's so great to tell all these guys how much you love them, even if you are shouting at the top of your voice. To top the night, my brother even caught Eric Sardinas' slide (which made his night becuase he really digs Eric, as do I).

8. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    yer hes awsome, but just one problem. He admits that he doesnt really know much about music, like he is just playing randoms notes and patterns. They sound cool but its only the halfway point to becoming talented. Love his tapping skills nether the less

9. The good thing about Sheehan, is that he can play loads of stuff, rock like mr.big,david lee roth, and steve vai, and fusion like niacin. Plus he shreds balls, one of my biggest influences.

Awesome bassist!

P.S. Check out his new album Cosmic Troubadour, its awesome!

10. I think a kindergarten student from Idaho knows more theory than Sheehan. Nonetheless his smoke and mirrors continue to dazzle the easily-impressed.

11. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    +1
    I think his BG tone is awful and he make his basses sound like he wanted to be a guitarist but finished as a bass player.

As for his speed and technique....simply unbelievable...on this area he rocks.

12. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I dont dig his tone either, but he sure has some shredding and tapping skills..

13. I picked up his "Advanced Bass" DVD- it's fun stuff. I agree on his crummy, guitar-like tone, although he plays his bass clean in this video and it sounds ok. There's some cool techniques to learn...pinch harmonics, economy of motion, neck bends, oh boy! :hyper:

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It must hurt to be so jealous. :rolleyes:

15. Oh yes, the ever-so predictable 'jealousy' stigma when someone disagrees with someone. :rolleyes:

Not hardly.

Sheehan does have impressive economy of motion. Do I believe he is one of the finest bassists alive?

Not hardly.

16. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Face off with him then. My money's on Sheehan.:smug:

17. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Well knows the fretboard pretty much inside and out, so i guess he knows some theory after all...

18. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    Disagreeing? You were being downright insulting. Let's see...
    "I think a kindergarten student from Idaho knows more theory than Sheehan." That's just silly. He may not read music, but if you don't think he grasps a great deal of music theory you are just kidding yourself.

"Nonetheless his smoke and mirrors continue to dazzle the easily-impressed." Here you insult everyone who likes Billy and his music.

I'm with BadB, my money would be on Sheehan schooling your ass up and down the neck.

19. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Gloves off? :ninja:

20. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    We could do a live TB shootout a la "crossroads" with billy in one corner and red wonder in the other. We could all watch and see who is left standing. not that anybody would probably doubt the outcome.:)

and so it was not biased towards soloing, we could have them each play a song with a band and decide who could lay down the better groove.