Billy Sheehan

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Major_Rager, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Major_Rager

Jan 6, 2003
    ok i downloaded some bits of a solo of his from japan its a video and he makes a squeal or something someone wanna tell me how? he like presses the string down to the pickup or something its crazy please help id love to play with that trick
  2. Sounds like his pinched harmonic...I can do it, but can't really describe it. I'll try, though:

Sort of "pinch" the string with your thumb and forefinger, making sure the nail of the forefinger touches the string.

Not much help, I know. Think of what guitarists do with their picks and thumbs/fingers to get the same effect and you get the idea.
  3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Billy Sheehan uses a large amount of Compression and some distortion to make the harmonics stick out and sqeal. He runs different amp setups simultaneously to get different aspects of his tone (maybe one rig clean, one rig distorted, one rig with heavy deep bass). There have been a number of articles about his setup over the years. He has a complex monster rack setup.
    Link to Billy Sheehan's gear.
  4. I think the solo you mention on his "Bass Secrets" 2nd instructional video.
    (he plucks a harmonic, lets it ring....and after shaking his head for what seems like ages looks at his watch in Spinal Tap-style:D )

he likes plucking artificial harmonics on the lower strings too- I think the one in question is on the A string.
    he uses his thumb to locate the node point (usually between the P p/up and the bridge), and plucks with his index finger.
  5. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    i always loved his work but now when i saw his gear i am done...

btw i cant find anything by billy in notes anywhere... can u gimme advice please? i have heard something about him and not writing a notes... :)

THNX Miss. Ant.
  6. Major_Rager

Jan 6, 2003
    Cool thanks guys i figured it was a pinch harmonic but it looks like he grabs the string and presses it so it touches the pickup or somehthing i'll have take another look thanks again and them are some awesome solos.......also is the only way to get a pinch harmonic out to use some distortion? i got a electro harmonix big muff pedal and morely power wah boost not that the wah has anything to do with it......yeah cliff rig.....but any tips on how to get it out that good? is actually bending the neck too? he's really good
  7. I can get a pinched harmonic on an unplugged actually rings pretty clear. Of course, Sheehan's awesome rig allows for a much greater sound.

On "Addicted To That Rush" he pinches AND bends a harmonic just as they're coming out of the "breakdown" section with the call-and-response guitar and bass soloing...I love that sound.
  8. I love main influence....I have all of his stuff...
  9. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    i like his tapping style.. i have read that he uses two fingers for tapping a one note... like he put his middle finger over index finger and tap a note... i tried that... and it seem a little strange to me... i rather use my index , middle and ring finger for separed tapping.. maybe I heard a bull****, but this way is not much comfortable for me...
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000