Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Sheehan's Ultra Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kwelch28, May 19, 2003.

1. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    I was reading the credits on Billy Sheehan's "Compression" and noticed he play's the ultra bass, does anyone know exactly what an Ultra Bass is?

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    "Notes: This is a stock Yamaha Attitude Ltd. II Bass strung with .130 B, .110 E, .85 A, and a .65 D strings. It would be like the last 4 strings of a 5 or 6 string bass. With the Hipshot D-tuner it goes down to a low "A"! Its action was adjusted to accommodate the huge strings tuned so low. It's Ultra low, so I call it the Ultra Bass. It has the Simm's blue LED's as fret markers and a solid-state red laser in the headstock. I used it on every song except "Feed Your Head" on my new record."-Billy Sheehan

How's that "Compression"? I've never been much into Billy's music but, I've personally dealt with him in the past and he is the coolest of dudes. A real class guy.

3. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    Thanks for the reply. The CD is pretty good, it sounds alot like King's X with more technical bass, plus it has Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio on a few tracks do that's a bonus. But overall on this CD Billy steps away from a bassist to more of a songwriter/singer/guitarist but he still holds down the low end very well.