Billy Squier Deserves Big $$$ !!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Winston TK, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    That new Queen Of The Stone Age song is a joke. Anyone with any dim memories of Billy Squier in the 80's will immediately detect the obvious thievery here. Just track down a copy of Squier's "Rock Me Tonight" and hear for yourself.

This is nothing new, of course. QOTSA seems like a cool band, don't get me wrong. But, it's always extremely annoying when bands mine gold from not that long ago and impress a young audience.

Well, at least you can appreciate the tunesmithing abilities of someone like Mr. Squier. His riffs are still gaining favour. Do yourself a favour -- seek out the originals! You'll hear many of today's artists in a whole new light.
  2. WinMX'ing it now.

do you mean "No-one knows" by QOTSA?

I think QOTSA are very overrated, but I don't know- there's a similarity, but then there's a lot of songs that sound vaguely similar - you could even say "cold as ice" by Foreigner sounds similar:D

also a vocal line at the beginning of "rock me tonight" in turn sounds very similar to "Oh well" by Fleetwood Mac....
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Same rhythm, that's about it.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Is this one of those "Lime Light"/ "Band On The Run" arguements?
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  6. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I think the most blatant lifted hook in today's music is the chorus from "Do You Call My Name" by Ra - it's a note-for-note yank of Carmina O Fortuna by Karl Orff. Tune kicks butt, tho!

7. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama

Now there's an interesting song for ya. I challenge you to download the lyrics, read them, and then try to look at that song in the way you did before! I have a theory concerning what its really about, but this is a family show! It may be general knowledge as to what its about, I don't know, but it sure does make one wonder!

"Put your right foot out
    Keep it all in place
    Work your way
    Right into my face"

And this line:

"Say you're a winner but man you're just a sinner now." HMmmmmmmmmmmmm.........:D :D Or maybe this smiley is more appropriate: :oops:
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Emotions in Motion has a great bassline.
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    ....And now that I think about it, it sounds just look the bassline that David Brown plays in Santana's Taboo. (Emotions in Motion that is)
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Billy Squier deserves a big kick in the tooshie.
  11. Wait, I always thought he was saying "STRONG MAN STROKE ME."

I mean, between that and the video where he prances around like a 6-year-old girl...
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

the killing blow. :D