Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bimplification question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1818, Jun 14, 2003.

1. 1818

Jun 14, 2003
    I've got a question for all you bass genius' out there....I want to run my bass signal out to two amps in a split or stereo configuration...one low end ...dry...and one higher end...using distortion and/or other effects...my problem is that the two amps on together..are causing bad noise problems..the two amps are bleeding over into one another...even when the high end is on clean...I've tried a digitech bp200 with stereo out..and i've tried a morley ABY switch box...both sound the same....anyone know what i'd need to get or any better ideas ..my band is a 3 piece and I play alot of lead parts on the bass and I use distortion quite a bit..but noise aside..i think the stereo sound is biggest...

thanks for any advice..

2. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    maybe something is wrong with the amps, i used a morley aby pedal to switch betwwen two channels on my old ampeg head, one channel had sistortion and one didnt, so i used the aby with no problems.

3. 1818

Jun 14, 2003
    I've tried various combinations of 4 different amps..the noise varies, but is still there...

4. Are you using a crossover? At what frequency is it set?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    As far as I can see it, you're not biamping, but running in stereo/dual mono. You're feeding both amps the same signal, no wonder they sound the same.

You need a crossover, like Joris said.

6. What you are describing is that you want your distorted signal to come from one amp and your clean signal to come from the other. To do this put the distortion device between the (Y) and the amp you want to be distorted, not between the guitar and the (Y).

Bi-amping is a really cool thing too.
    Here's how it works. The signal from your bass goes into a device called a cross over. The cross over divides it into 2 signals 1 low and the other high. The low signal usually goes from say 20hz to 100hz and the high from 100hz to 20,000hz. You feed the low signal into the amp with an attached speaker designed for low frequencies. Often people us an 18" speaker for this. You feed the high signal into an amp that is attached to a speaker cab that will work well with higher frequencies like a 4x10 etc, etc,. The purpose behind all this is to allow certain speakers to operate in a narrower frequency range where they work the best. The secret to this is the crossover. There are lots of bass amps that have a crossover built into them. There are also a few bass pre-amps with built in crossovers. And, of course there are plenty of stand alone crossovers available.