Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Binding making for a smoother ride up tehe neck? Other questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Jan 24, 2005.

1. I plan on buying a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz and putting a Warmoth maple neck with blocks and binding on it and was wondering about blocks and binding.

-Does the binding make for a smoother ride up the neck?
    -Is it easier to do better fretwork on necks with binding?
    -Are Warmoths blocks/binding necks fast?

Thanks for your replies.

P.S. Does anyone know where I could get a Fender decal reproduction made to put on the neck, since it's liscensed by Fender, and I hate blank headstocks?

2. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    you could try ebay...

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Best bet for decals is to cruise ebay. If you can't find anything on there currently, you'll find "ads" from people who can make them for you.

I've purchased two Fender decals off of ebay (just put one on a headstock last night, in fact) and I've had good luck.

Now that I think about it, I have an allparts neck with black blocks and a "vintage" jazz bass decal in great shape that I could sell you if you're interested. I'm not using it anymore and it was not used much at all on the bass upon which I had installed it.

It's bound, but with a natural binding, as opposed to a black binding. Holes are already drilled for the neck plate and tuners, obviously.

PM me if you're interested.

4. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I'll leave the "is it smoother, is it faster" questions up to the players, but on a factual point, our frets overhang the binding on our bound necks, like this:
    [​IMG]

5. "Yes, they use a special 'accelerant' in the block material, which makes you play up to 40% faster!"

Come on man. I meant like are they good/fast necks, you can always tell between a bad neck and a good one.

Anyways, bwbass, have you guys at Warmoth ever thought of making the Rosewood blocks/binding necks with MOP instead of Corian? Just wondering.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, IMO there's no such thing as a fast neck. Everyone has different comfort preferences, and when one finds a neck that one can comform to with ease, there's one's optimal neck. I usually play with the same amount of precision and such on most basses, besides horribly setup ones. The only bad neck is a horribly warped one that is deemed unplayable by popular vote.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I tend to agree, actually. I have painted necks, satin necks, barely finished necks, wide necks, skinny necks, bound necks, etc. I could not tell you which is honestly "faster" than another. They ALL work great for me.

But maybe that's just me.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    We are freaks. We should totally team up and charge for people to see "The incredibly freakish interchangable bass duo!" "They'll play everything from Fender to Fodera! From Gloss to bare wood, they'll play everything!"

9. I'm not sure about what constitutes a "fast" neck. However, a "SLOW" neck is made out of knotty pine with knot holes and lumps with sap oozing out of it. :D :D

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My ric has a maple syrup tap.... They say it's for Rick-O-Sound, but tell that to my pancakes.