1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Binding posts connection help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Oct 11, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm trying to figure out how to connect the binding posts to the banana jacks.

Do I leave the banana jacks out and tighten the posts and then put the banana jacks in; loosen the posts and put the banana jacks in and then tighten them?

Will they be tight, should I be able to pull them out once they are "in"?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Just shove 'em in until they make good contact, preferably leaving the outer part screwed all the way in. They will only be moderately tight at most in many cases. Sometimes they will be scarily loose even. The screwable part of the posts don't affect the tension of the back part where you plug in the banana jacks axially.

I've actually seen a few binding posts where you can fit the banana plugs perpendicularly through the holes in the binding posts, then crank down the outer part to lock the whole assembly. To me it always looks like it'll eventually tweak the banana plug.

Radio Shack and Parts Express both sell banana plugs with thumbscrews, and these are generally tighter than most of the standard ones IME. You have to keep an eye on the thumbscrew part though, as it can loosen up fairly easily.

3. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thanks man.
    I wasn't sure if I should be able to pull them out once in. I thought that the outer screw you seal them in.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    There might be some that work that way. I've seen various locking schemes, which I think are a good idea actually.

5. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Nope. The nut is only if you insert wire into the binding post itself. The posts were originally designed to take wire - bare, or with large crimp lugs. The bannana jacks were more of an afterthought . . . . .

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021