Binding Posts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 30, 2005.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I like binding post outs, they are solid and simple and you can tell if something is wrong just by looking at the connection. So yes, I could use other outs but I want to use the posts.

Sometimes I run bi-amp, and sometimes I run mono-bridged. I don't like to disconnect the wires from the posts, mostly because it's a bit tight in the rack and my hands barely fit in there.

when I want to bridge, probably using a banana plug, is it ok Wor me to leave the biamping spkr. cables bound to the posts and not remove them (just not plug them into a speaker)? No I haven't tried this, I thought power might still be going out the biamp cables, but if they're not plugged in then . . . ?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

Don't do that

it's very easy for those to get shorted.

do yourself a favor, if the outs accept bannana plugs, use those. I switch from stereo to bridged all the time and they make it very easy.

In fact' I'd be very nervous about having speaker cables connected to my power amp all the tiem that weren't plugged into cabs. It's WAY to easy for someone to fire that amp up, and somehow short the other ends of the cables before plugging them into (or while plugging them into) your cabs. Amp repairs are expensive, and having no amp at 10 PM kinda sucks when you're 100 miles from anyoen who can lend you one.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, I considered the shorting problem and thought about taping off the plugs, but you're right, I should just get bananas.