1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BiNZ & AfterParty - Corp Christmas 8Dec

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassed in NZ, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi Team - 'tis the season of Christmas parties as we come into summer, so thought I'd share with you - will try and do my best BassCliff gig report impression!

This was a corporate Christmas party that I'd managed to say yes to the same day as my son's graduation dinner from high school - so headed out early in the day to set up. 60km drive to the gig, then back 60km for dinner, then back for gig, then home - the things we do!

Thankfully it was a nice day and a nice drive - here's a couple of shots out over the city and harbour around 2pm:
    Photo 8-12-17, 1 05 55 PM.
    Photo 8-12-17, 1 07 09 PM.

Venue was a function centre (old homestead) out near our international airport - big marquee for dinner, and band to set up in the old barn;
    Photo 8-12-17, 1 55 59 PM.
    Photo 8-12-17, 1 56 01 PM.

Turned out to be a pretty tiny space (didn't need the extra sub that I hired and charged the client for...), but we made it work - Paully drumming for us tonight
    Photo 8-12-17, 3 46 22 PM.
    Ed's setup shot
    Photo 8-12-17, 3 47 03 PM.

Rig of choice
    Photo 8-12-17, 3 47 31 PM.

Set up, sound checked, then hit the road to the dinner at 4pm - great celebration (no photos though sorry!).

Headed back about 8pm as the sun was setting:
    Photo 8-12-17, 8 12 13 PM.
    Photo 8-12-17, 8 12 50 PM.

The party was in full swing as I got back 20 mins ahead of downbeat at 9pm
    Photo 8-12-17, 8 40 20 PM.

Dance floor ready to roll - the columns were a little inconvenient but you work with what you can - client had originally intended us to use a different outdoor space, but the venue hadn't quite clocked it, and the guy ropes for the marquee were set up through the middle of it.
    Photo 8-12-17, 8 57 30 PM.

Cheeky band selfie before we started - the party was "country" themed, so apologies to my friends in North America where they have real cowboys, and Scully shirts...
    Photo 8-12-17, 9 01 53 PM.

The guests were up for a party though so they packed the barn (sorry for the blurry shots)
    Photo 8-12-17, 9 13 42 PM.
    Photo 8-12-17, 9 13 44 PM.

The boys having a well deserved drink in a break between sets
    Photo 8-12-17, 11 06 13 PM.

As is normally the case, the crowds thin out as the evening goes on and people have had enough partying with their workmates - but the ones that stayed enjoyed themselves
    Photo 8-12-17, 10 01 25 PM.
    Photo 8-12-17, 11 08 33 PM.

Headed home through the city after midnight where our sky tower is Christmas themed - good gig, good payday, good time!
    Photo 9-12-17, 1 06 20 AM.

Thanks for letting me share!

2. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Good report! Do I remember you saying the Bergs are self-powered so that's why we don't see an amp?

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Great gig report.. 1st thing I noticed... it's warm down under. Not like my Christmas gig a few days ago in the snow. You got the chicks, the bass rig, and I noticed the food... that one lowly tomato all alone in the dish.. good job ;)

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi BiNZ!

Great report on a really nice gig. It sure is beautiful there by the ocean. I guess you're near the ocean most of the time since you live on an island. ;)

Corporate Christmas parties tend to be a little subdued but it looks like everyone had a good time despite the cheesy "country" attire. We'll have to work on your authenticity. :D

Oh, don't listen to me. You guys look fine for a party. All in good fun, right? Thanks for sharing your Christmas joy. I wish you much success in the new year.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase and Bassed in NZ like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hi Matt,

That was a cool gig. Love the barn set up. It looks like Kiwi cowboys know how to party. :thumbsup:

Paully's outfit cracks me up. I can totally see a cartoon character :laugh:

I really would like to visit New Zealand someday. Such a beautiful country. A lot like northern California from what I'm told. When I was in the boating business I knew several yacht captains from NZ. All were cool people.

Bassed in NZ and dbase like this.
  6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Awesome! Looks like a fun time was had by all, thanks for posting! (I've heard of New Zealand, but didn't realize anyone actually lived there.) ;):cool::hyper:

McG, Bassed in NZ and dbase like this.
  7. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Cheers Pete - yes, it's the Berg IP122ER + EX112ER stack - 1000w power amp built in.

I use an Aguilar Tone Hammer on my board as a preamp - sounds good to my ears - here's the board I used on the night
    Photo 8-12-17, 3 47 40 PM.
    It was dusty on that floor though - all my cables (I provide the PA as well) were covered!

Attached Files:

BassCliff, McG and dbase like this.
  8. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    We've had a particularly warm December - temps typically in the mid 20's (mid 70's Fahrenheit) so have enjoyed the start to summer this year (often this time of year can be a bit overcast & wet).

The band had dinner at the gig but I'd headed to my son's graduation where we got fed - lamb, pork, beef & chicken and some good salad. Pretty sure at the gig they had a lamb and a pig on a spit - smelt good when I was setting up!

Can't quite imagine loading in and out in the snow these days - did it once or twice when I lived in Cambridge England, but unless you hit the ski fields here in the winter it's just not something that really features.

Cheers Cliff - yeah, nowhere's much more than a 3 or 4 hour drive to the ocean, and most places much less than that - island life!
    These guys were right up for a party when we started playing - they were so loud in the room that we struggled to hear ourselves! Corporate Christmas parties are still reasonably common here - used to be that spouses were invited but not so much any more, so whilst it's social, it's still work! They also mark the start of our summer holiday season. Do corporates do Christmas parties in the US?
    And yes, I cringed a bit posting the themed photos here where some of you guys are steeped in country - all in good fun though!

9. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah, we can party a bitCheec! Paully managed to embody the cliche cowboy, that's for sure!

Come to NZ and I'll show you around! Did you ever come across Wayne Avery? He was a kiwi yacht captain based in the States for a while a number of years ago now - and a great jazz / funk rhythm guitarist, played in a band with him for a couple of years.

Cheeky - you occasionally see people wandering around between the cows and sheep...and hobbits.

Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  10. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks for the invite. NZ has been a bucket list destination for a long time. Plus it's across the date line so I'd be traveling into tomorrow. I've always wanted to time travel. ;)

Honestly, I don't remember the names of the guys I knew. That was back between 1976 and 1986 when I was doing custom canvas work in Newport Beach, CA. If Wayne was there during that time I may well could have known him. The guys I knew were captains of 45' to 55' fishing yachts. Really awesome boats that could go anywhere. They all were owned by rich people who lived out of state. They would call the captain every couple of months and say to have the boat in Mexico, Alaska, etc. on a certain date. The skipper would get the boat there and the owner would fly there, go ocean fishing for a week or two and fly home. The skipper would then take the boat back to Newport. Between fishing trips the guys had an amazing boat to live on and just keep up with regular maintenance. Pretty cool job that paid well. :cool:

Pretty much how I pictured it. :laugh:

Bassed in NZ and Sore Thumb like this.
  11. Envious of the gig and the weather. Loading in and out in the snow isn't fun. It just slows everything down and increases the chance of hurting yourself, trying to haul speakers over snow and ice covered steps.
    Corporate Christmas parties are super common in my area of the world. Went to mine on Saturday night and enjoyed the band (small town, bunch of friends in it.) was asked to go up and play a song but respectfully declined.
    Thanks for sharing your gig! Merry Christmas!

Bassed in NZ and McG like this.
  12. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Come down for the next Americas Cup!
    Think that might’ve been a little ahead of when Wayne was skippering - but he basically sailed super yachts around the world for his customers - lots of responsibility I guess bit cool gig!
    I missed my work’s party this year doing another gig (work decided to have a DJ instead of the band ). Curious - why did you decline to do a song?
    Merry Christmas to you and to all TalkBass!

McG likes this.
  13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It's been 12 years since my last visit to Auckland. These pictures remind me of how beautiful it is. Thanks!

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  14. We were headed out the door already. Our friends were in hospital having a baby, and they dropped off their three boys with us just before the party. Our 15 year old was taking care of them so we didn't want to be too late. He's good with them but can lose his patience pretty quick.
    Also Rick (the Rats bass player) is really, really good. Super nice guy too. I didn't feel comfortable stepping into his place on an unfamiliar bass playing a song in a different tuning (my band plays a half step down) all by memory without practice. People weren't drunk enough to mask my mediocrity.

15. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You’re welcome Bunk! Look us up if you’re down this way again
    Fair call mate - I’d be with you in that circumstance.

Sore Thumb likes this.
  16. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    That would be awesome. I've only seen the races on TV. I've been lucky to checkout some of the boats in person though. Back in the 12 meter days several America's Cup boats passed through Newport. Columbia lived there in her retirement. Dennis Conner brought Stars & Stripes up from San Diego a few times. Intrepid from New York was there for a while too. That was an amazing boat. The current Cup designs are pretty wild. NZ was FAST in 2017!

2021 is a ways away but you never know. I may hit the lottery and be able to finance a trip to watch the Cup. :thumbsup: Cool that I know a local to show me around. :cool:

Bassed in NZ likes this.