1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BiNZ w/FB @ Backbeat 26Oct18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassed in NZ, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    G'day everyone - just sitting here on a Sunday afternoon listening to @BassCliff on The Ranch's livestream (it's good - loving Animal on the drums!), and thought I share Friday's gig with you all. This is gig #3 with the 80's band, and the last of our planned "paid rehearsals" to iron out the kinks before really pushing the marketing and some bigger gigs over summer.

It was a beautiful day - here's the view from the bedroom balcony as I got the threads ready for the show.
    Photo 26-10-18, 4 32 53 PM.

Traffic was pretty good for a Friday evening until I hit the approach to the harbour bridge, but the view across to the city isn't bad if you're stuck in traffic
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 12 32 PM.

Travelling to the top of the bridge it's always nice to see the flag flying
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 18 24 PM.

And down the other side the city's closer, and you get to see all of the masts of the boats in the marina - evidently New Zealand has more boats per capita than any other country in the world.
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 18 42 PM.

Only a 1/2 hour drive to our destination in the central city - the venue is owned by (and above the flagship stores for the "Rockshop" - on of NZ's biggest music store chains.

They've always used their side wall to pay tribute to great musicians - the last couple of years it's been primarily about those that we've lost recently
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 39 35 PM.

Nice to see the posters up on the door!
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 37 40 PM.

She's a pretty narrow staircase to load in - just as well everything's backlined and I'm only carrying a bass and pedalboard
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 37 47 PM.

Sweet venue though - I haven't been here before, and I'm the first to arrive, so I can take some uninterrupted pics!
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 43 53 PM.

As you can see, there's a lot of memorabilia on the walls (mostly guitars!) - all signed by the artists. Slash was here:
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 41 46 PM.

NZ's own Neil Finn and Crowded House
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 41 01 PM.

And for our country bassplayers, a little bit of Johnny Cash:
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 42 06 PM.

The bass player gets some love in this venue - looks good but as we run in ears and mix everything direct to the PA, I didn't use it...
    Photo 26-10-18, 5 43 39 PM.

The rest of the crew arrives - Christian is happy that the drum kit was provided and he didn't have to load in
    Photo 26-10-18, 6 06 11 PM.

It's Kate's birthday weekend, and this is the only gig she's doing (she often does 2-4 gigs a weekend) - glad she chose this one
    Photo 26-10-18, 6 15 02 PM.

Nick's got his pink tshirt on, but you wouldn't know with the lighting
    Photo 26-10-18, 6 17 03 PM.

Setup dance is done and we're ready to go - but we've got one of my boys taking some promo photos - which I'll share in the next post
    Photo 26-10-18, 8 09 34 PM.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    SWRnut, dbase, Road Hat and 6 others like this.
  2. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Costumed up, we headed outside to play with the traffic
    Street2.

I love John with the streaming hair - wish I still had hair like that - I'll have to settle for being the cliche bass player in a hat!
    Street1.

Back inside, here's a facebook cover pic
    Couch1.

Couldn't keep a straight face for very long though - this is a pretty fun band!
    Couch2.

Is the bar open yet?
    Boys1.

Anyway, on with the show! It's an intimate venue, so not a huge crowd, but those that came out put some effort into costumes and had a great time
    Band&Crowd.

As well as being an excellent guitarist, John blows a mean sax
    John2.

Possibly a little too much mutual admiration going on here
    Band2.

Hey - it's the 80's so I get to slap, right?
    Matt02.

Kate and Nick tearing it up
    Kate&Nick.

Set two the instrumentalists do a costume change - "hey look, there's someone taking a photo"!
    Matt&Nick2.

Set two and the crowd's still tearing up the dancefloor
    Band&Crowd3.

These ladies were loving reliving their teens - the sang the lyrics to most of the songs!
    Crowd5.

Crowd3.

A good night had by all, we worked out a few kinks in the playlist, our tech worked well - job done I think!

I'll leave you with my fav photo of the night - the Elrick shining - profile picture anyone?
    IMG_5893-2.

Thanks for letting me share - look forward to seeing your gigs too!

Road Hat, SWRnut, dbase and 13 others like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

I must say, this was an epic glimpse into your gigging world. I appreciate you sharing it with us. Ya know, the 80s was a great time. I'm sure your audiences really appreciate the memories your band evokes.

I missed most of the pop music from the 80s because I was so heavily into country music. But I do appreciate that era. Thanks for sharing your fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase, Bassed in NZ and McG like this.
  4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hey, "Abbey Road" all over again!! Very nice place, hope you had just as much fun.

dbase and Bassed in NZ like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey Matt,

Wow, that was one fun looking gig! Great photography. Cool venue. They have some major ampage on that stage. :wideyed:

Thanks for sharing your gig from the other side of the world. :)

Speaking of the other side of the world, where else can you watch the Ranch live stream on a Sunday afternoon? :D

6. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Wow, Matt!

What an amazing gig report! The photos are a real joy to review too. They really capture the moment!

7. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Cheers Cliff - was just reflecting on it with our guitarist last night - there's no ambiguity as to what type of band we are and what people can expect so it's a little bit of a differentiator from the other cover bands out there. We're getting good feedback so far, so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for your feedback mate

Yes, shades of Abbey Road - actually it's Karangahape Rd, or K' Rd as it's locally known.

Yeah, a bit cheating doing a gig report when you have an actual photographer there - it's a hobby of my son's and he's got pretty good. I'm not sure how everyone's hearing is after a gig there when they actually use the backline - we were plenty present enough just going through the PA.

Where else in the world can you see the Ranch on a Sunday afternoon? I reckon the Pacific Islands, parts of Australia, Russia, Indonesia and Japan at a pinch! (but little old NZ is the coolest place to be :roflmao: )

Thanks Tony, nice to share a bit of the scenery and the gig. Early days with this band - hopefully it will take off.

McG, Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  8. Excellent gig report.

Looks like a fun band and a great venue!

Sore Thumb likes this.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Nice gig report. Thanks for sharing. Nice Elrick too.

dbase likes this.
  10. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Where's the food??? ;)