Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trent-35, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Hi. Does anyone else believe that Biorhytms or other chemical things in your body effect your playing? I sure do. I've heard people say they've had "good nights or bad nights" but why? To use say a baseball anaology, why does a .300 hitter get 5 hits in a row then can't buy a base hit for a week? All luck? For me, if my Bio's are bad, i can tell from the 1st note and it usually takes a few days to shake it. I can't remember what key songs are in and everything is just a struggle. If they are good, i can do no wrong, the groove is there, and the trickiest licks come easy as pie. I tend to play best when i'm a little mad actually. I focus real well then for some reason. lol It has nothing to do with being physiclaly tired cuz i've travelled 24 hours on an old bus with no sleep or a shower and grabbed the bass and played great. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Trent

Keep it country!
  2. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I don't know about biorythms, but I know chemicals affect my playing [​IMG]
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

A couple things definitely impact my paying. One is rum and coke. I hardly ever drink, but one thing is for sure, it is disastrous for me to drink begore a gig or rehearsal. My fingers just go into slow motion. I've heard of great musicians like Stevie Ray Vaughan who played stoned or drunk and I just don't see how they did it. Alcohol slows my mind and my fingers down...pure and simple.

Another thing, I'll never forget...the lead guitarist and song writer in one band I was in was neurotic and unabashedly tempermental and moody. Maybe it was HIS bioryhthms that made him that way. Anyway, when he was in one of his foul moods, it impacted my playing negatively. Not just mine, the whole band's. Jason Oldsted
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I was in a band with a drummer who had chronically horrible biorhythm...
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eli:
    I was in a band with a drummer who had chronically horrible biorhythm...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO! Good one, Eli.

Back when I was into substances(I'M NOT anymore) I used to like to speed when I was playing.. I played some amazing licks, but always had drummers syndrome - speeding up as the song went along.. It sure made it easier to unload and load the gear, though..

6. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Could this explain why....somedays, I can play just about anything I want to...and other days, I have a hard time even playing a scale.....:)
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To Trent, I've given some thought to what you said about biorhythms and I am wondering if it isn't actually circadian rhythms that are impacting your performance more than biorhytmns. What leads me to that question was a very interesting tape I was listening to this week by Dr.Bob Arnott who often appears on ABC TV with medical advice. On the tape he speaks at length about the impact of circadian rhythms on our daily life. They dictate the times we feel most energetic, the times we learn best, the times we tend to feel hungry, sleepy, etc. He says they are powerful forces, citing, for example, how when the body is very sleep deprived, one will fall asleep whether one wants to or not.

I can't recall where I read it, but I believe I did read that the theory of biorhthyms hasn't been entirely proven to be all that it was hyped to be about twenty years ago when folks were carrying charts around and all of that. But circadian rhythms have been studied much more extensively and their impact on our performance and moods has been scrutinized extensively. Jason Oldsted
  8. RÅFTY

Apr 8, 2000
    dont ever try playing a gig with cold hands, personally if that happens to me, my hand is permantly attached to the neck, and all im capable of playing is Smoke on the Water...

9. Interesting Jason. Yeah, i wasn't talking about getting drunk or stoned or cold hand or whatever. Those things are obiviously going to effect your playing. I was wondering why i "have it" some days and not others. Like i said, i've been dead tired and smelly and played my butt off. It has nothing to do with my body being physically tired. Trent
  10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yes, there have been days when nothing I try works, and there have been days when I couldn't buy a mistake. The bad news is I can't schedule gigs around the yucky days...
  11. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Being a female, I can attest to the fact that there's definite rhythms (of whatever kind) that have an effect on your playing. Trent-35, keep track of your playing good/bad days and see if it doesn't recur about every 28 days. ;)