Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Birchwood Casey Walnut Stain question.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by philthygeezer, Jul 29, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I know from you guys that Tru Oil is great for finishing basses.

But what about their walnut stain?? Is it easy to apply and will it work on swamp ash? Do I have to watch out for uneven staining? This will be my first time trying to apply a finish.

I have swamp ash body (with a nice purpleheart strip down the middle :D ) and I'm thinking of applying the walnut stain to it, then finishing in Tru Oil. I can envision the grain of the swamp ash standing out in a deep walnut brown, which would look great with chrome hardware...

Thanks for shedding any light on this one.

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Only one way to find out ...........try it on some SCRAP ash wood from the body..??

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002

That's the problem. I can't seem to find any scrap ash around here and I bought my ash bodies over the internet...

Will oak make a good substitute for scrap testing?

4. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Heh. Got some scrap ash coming with the body. All I had to do was ask! Nice of them to do that for me!

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    oak is a total diffrent wood to work with....ash is probly closer to maple for finishing.

6. Phil, I think you are going to get a look similiar to the Ibanez Musician series of the late 70's and early 80's. You've seen 'em around here and on ebay. They had what you've described - deep, dark brown graining (where the porous rings are) with a nice walnut in the white wood. They were beautiful to say the least.

To make the best of this, after you've stained, you might want to use a clear grain filler to smooth off the holes in the grain before oiling. I would stain, grain fill, sand, and then restain to restore where I sanded the filler. Then, when everything's smooth, start the oil. My trick for that is to apply it with OOOO steel wool for the first 2 or 3 coats. This really gets it into the wood. After these first rounds, you can spray it or brush it. Spraying makes a more even surface but if you're good at a brush you can get it to flow out well.

Hope this helps

7. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks! It definitely does.

8. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Hambone:

I looked up the Ibanez Musician series and they are gorgeous. I think that this may be the best look for my SG-bass project.

So I'm simply going to Wal mart to pick up one of the Birchwood Casey gunstock refinishing kits and will use that with the BC wood filler as per your instructions. The ebony neck and stained ash body will look killer I think. So now I'll just think of how dark I want it to be...

Ibanez:
    [​IMG][​IMG]