1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Birdge PU on neck position, ok??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by perutxo, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm planning on installing a STK-2 bridge I have from a project that didin't work for my PJ, on my stingray copy.
    So, will it be ok sound-tonewise to install it on the neck position??
    Thanks,
    Peru

2. Are these Jazz bass pickups?
    Jazz pickups are two different sizes, so physically they are not interchangable...

3. Yes, the PU I'm installing is a jazz bridge Pu and I'm routing a new cavity where there was none, so the size of the PU doesn't matter.
    Thanks

4. Alright, the next issue is the string spacing.

Hold the pickup up to the area you want it and make sure the strings will line up properly.

The output from the strings is not as loud at the bridge position, so bridge pickups are usually would a little hotter to balance things out. If this is a Stingray copy, i am assuming a MM style pickup in the bridge location?
    A MM pickup is way hotter than a Jazz pickup to begin with, but the pickup balance is still something you want to consider.

5. ive had a similiar question about jazz pickups as well. since the tone i favor is from the bridge pup would installing another bridge pup in the neck position give me "more of that jazz growl"? or is the tone based on the actual placement of the pup near the bridge? i realise there would be routing involved, but its worth it to ask. -joe

6. The tone comes from the placement of the pickup...
    The only difference that i know of between Jazz bass neck and bridge pickups (aside from the bridge being a quarter inch wider) is that the bridge is wound a tad hotter.

If you put a bridge pickup in the neck position, it would still sound like a neck pickup.

7. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    It may be a wee bit wide for the string spacing if you mount it straight up and down, so you could angle it a little.....you will see the poles line right up.

8. Hey! Thanks for the tip! Very well thought!,
    Thanks!:bassist:

9. thanks guys. on a side note....why isnt my avatar showing up anymore? -joep

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the thing is, once you figure out that the pickup doesn't sound good because it wasn't wound for the neck position, you're now stuck with a hole that won't fit actual neck pickups that would sound good.

people do all sorts of crazy things and insist that it's good, but in general, a bridge pickup stuck in the neck position will be boomy and muddy, while a neck pickup stuck by the bridge will be thin and weak.

i would call this a Bad Idea.

11. Your supporting membership expired?

12. that explains it. i wasnt sure if that would make the avatar pic go away or not. thanks. -joep

13. Well, it seems that this is the most sensible answer I've received, therefore I'll forget about installing it.
    Thanks